Syncing Periods

Chapter Four:
Syncing Periods

        "Can I put this in your backpack?"

Asked Natasha, who handed me her thick History textbook while we rummage through our school stuff in my locker. Last period of the day ended ten minutes ago, and Natasha and I are getting ready to leave.

After lunch hour, Dani went to her next class without my help because she insisted that she needed to learn where they are on her own.

I agreed, and took her school map to show her the easiest and convenient way to get to her classes. Dani said her thanks, and gave me a smile.

I stared after her for a moment before realizing that I'm possibly making a new friend. I mean, I've never tried since I'm comfortable around Natasha and Dennis... Maybe even Thomas, and I never really asked for more. Sure, maybe Thomas is my friend too, but he's an ass, so I don't really know what to call him... a side friend? I don't know. Aquintances I suppose.

Dani is different. She gets my humour, even though they can be very mean sometimes. She doesn't get offended easily, like normal people would when they're around me, and she would reply with witty and sassy comebacks.

I can actually have a decent conversation with her.

I wanted to ask for her number or something, to talk to her I guess?

Can I have your number? I had asked.

Dani turned back around and just gave me this smirk like she knows something that I don't, and it's really pissing me off. Did I say something wrong?

Sure. She had said.

I need to take a deep breath. Calm down Mave. Gosh, you're being so insecure.

But anyways,

I now have her badly written, cellphone number, on my arm. It's purple because Dani happened to have a purple marker in her pocket. I was going to ask her why, but I didn't want to sound rude.

As if she knew what I was thinking, Dani had blurted,

I'm fabulous that way.

I smiled at her goofiness.

"Mave." Natasha called out.

"Huh?" I turned my head to look at my best friend, still preoccupied with my thoughts. "Oh, sorry. What did you say?"

"Can I please put this in your backpack?" She asked again.

I blinked, and let the information sink into my nervous system. Then, I looked at her in disbelief and glanced at my small backpack. I Lifted my head up suddenly, and looked at her again while pointing at my backpack.

"Sure." I replied sarcastically. "It's not like my bag would rip open."

"Can you carry my book then?"

"No." I said, shaking my head and carrying two textbooks in one hand, and a binder in the other. "I can't."

"But my hands are hurting." She complained. I rolled my eyes.

"That's what she said." I told her, laughing at my own dirty joke.

"That's disgusting!"

"I know." I replied and laughed harder. "I know, oh my god that's so gross. Why did I say that?!"

"Ugh." She complained again, ignoring my loud and obnoxious laughter. "Seriously, can you just carry this for me please?"

"No, why? No boyfriend around to carry it for you?" I asked.