I Can't Have Her

Chapter Twenty-Eight:
I Can't Have Her

"Ready to cry, fellow friends!" I yelled out as I gripped the front of the sled. Natasha sat behind me, and she was gripping my waist. "Natasha and I are going to win!" I added.

"We're going to crush your dreams!" Nat joined in.

"Shut up lightweights!" Yelled Thomas and Dennis. Thomas up front, Dennis behind him. "We're heavier than you, it's obvious that we're going to win!"

"Excuse me, but shut the fuck up sir!" I yelled back. "You've got nothing on us! See this? See this sled right here? I know there's a possibility that it will kill us but we don't give a crap!"

"Whoa, Mave, let's not get carried away." Said Nat. "I don't wanna die!"

"Settle down with the language! There's kids everywhere!" Dennis warned me, but was grinning nonetheless.

"Shit. Fuck. Bitch!" I yelled. Then a kid stared at me, his eyes wide. "Yes kid, I'm going to hell. But you know someday you're going to be saying these words too, and you'll realize that they're not really that bad-"

"Maverick! Oh my god!" Natasha cut me off, laughing so hard and hitting the back of my head.

"We're going to church tomorrow. Don't worry." I reminded her.

"This is hilarious!" Said Dani, who was holding on to Margo's waist.

"You guys are so funny!" Margo guffawed.

"You won't find it funny when we win!" I told the other two girls right beside us. "Ready? Set, go!" I quickly said, and used my arms to push us off downhill.

Almost immediately, Nat screamed. Dennis, Thomas, and Dani were laughing laughing so hard, I'm surprised they were still on their sleds. Margo on the other hand was shrieking. And I thought her vocal range was so impressive.

Our sled moved sideways, and I was scared for a second that Nat and I were going to wipe out. But I leaned back, and Nat did too, which we thought was going to make our sled straight but no, it randomly turned again, and now we're going downhill backwards.

"Holy shit!" I screamed. Snow was covering my face and legs, and the cold wind was making my face feel numb. I felt Nat's grip on my waist tightened, her face buried against my back. I lost my toque along the way, and my dark hair was all over the place.

Dani and Margo were ahead of us, while Dennis and Thomas were just right behind us. Soon, the two boys passed us, and Nat and I gave them the middle finger.

"Oh my god, guys get out of the way!" I yelled out, as Dani and Margo's sled was skidding on our way, and like us earlier, they were skidding sideways. Because our sled was going backwards, and Nat sitting behind me, I was pretty sure that we were going to wipe out pretty soon.

Dani and Margo didn't know what was up, so when they looked behind them, and saw me and Nat, their eyes narrowed but it was too late to react. Our sled collided with theirs, and all of us were pushed off of our sleds.

Nat's grip loosened, and she rolled away from me, to god knows where. And now I was alone, and I didn't know what was happening because I closed my eyes tightly, and hope I would be okay in the end. I felt a grip on my waist again, and thought it was Nat, trying to save me.