I Think We Need To Stop

Chapter Thirty-Four:

I Think We Need To Stop

         I woke up from the familiar sound of a page being flipped. I didn't open my eyes right away because I was aware that someone was in my room with me, and I don't want them to know that I'm awake.

At first, I thought it was Natasha because knowing her, she would get worried about me locking myself in my room with a migraine. But as soon as I heard,

"Goddamn it, why is it so hard to understand you?"

I knew instantly that it was Dani, and she was talking to herself under her breath.

I heard another page being flipped, and I heard the other girl sigh in frustration. Slowly, very slowly, I moved my head and opened my eyes to get a good look at her. Dani was sitting at the foot of my bed, and her back to me.

"What are you reading?" I muttered and moved around enough to indicate that I'm awake. Dani flinched in surprise and turned. I thought I saw her wipe a tear away, but I wasn't sure. I couldn't really see properly without my glasses.

"Twilight." She replied. Then, she turned around to face me. I wanted to close my eyes again because they felt heavy, and honestly, I also didn't want to see the pained look that Dani seems to be giving me recently. It makes me feel guilty, and pathetic. "I didn't know you were a Stephenie Meyer fan." She added.

"Since I was eleven," I responded, and trying to air out the tension between us a little. "I was really into vampires back then."

Dani can't help but snicker at that.

"And you still think I'm a vampire?" She asked.

"I have a theory that you might be, yes," I replied, while Dani gave me an amused look.

"And that is?" She asked, now raising an eyebrow at me. She had on her usual lopsided grin, and it was so contagious that I just had to smile. I sat up slowly and pulled my knees to my chest. My blanket was still around me like a cocoon, and I rested my chin on a small pillow.

"I don't know if you know it, but you have this... Predatory look in your eyes, you know?" I answered her, staring right into her light brown eyes. "Like it's a trap."

Dani laughed.

"Why, you don't like it?" She asked, and her stare not wavering. "You think I have this ability to lure mortals like you?"

"I think you do," I answered truthfully. "You're pretty enough to make people like you."

"Don't say that." She said.

"But it's true," I protested. "You have no idea how many people talk about you in school. It was like, everyone wanted to be friends with you."

"That doesn't matter."

"I think it does," I said. "It's saying that we're in different worlds, Dani."

"You know, I heard you once said, 'so you're basing my interests on how I look?' remember that?"

"I'm just saying-"

"So what if I get that kind of attention? Natasha's the same, so I don't understand where you're getting at." Dani asked, her hand running through her staticky blond hair.