Getaway Part 1

"Do you have everything packed?" Natasha asked from my phone. She was on speaker and was keeping me company while I get ready for my getaway with Dani over the break.

I had asked her about her secretive and suspicious behavior but she insisted that she wasn't ready to talk about it yet. She said that it wasn't something to worry about and reassured me that she will talk about it soon.

"I have everything." I replied while looking at my luggage sitting on my bed. "Nat, I'm really nervous."

"What are you even talking about? Think about the idea of it's just you and Dani for three nights. The Maverick I know would be ecstatic."

"I'm excited about our time together but I'm nervous about the other part." I said huffing stressfully.

"What do you mean?" Nat asked, but followed by a, "Oh! Like the... oh my god. I didn't even think about that."

"Yeah."

"Well even better then!" She said.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty excited about that too but how... What- what do I even do?"

"Mave for the love of God, please do not ask me that." Nat said now laughing.

I dropped the subject because just even talking about it made me feel like I was going to faint. Natasha has been a little distant before but she's finally coming back.

It's hard to keep in touch sometimes especially us seniors being busy applying for colleges and scholarships. I've been scouted by universities far away but I am not ready to talk to anyone about that yet. The idea of moving away from my loved ones gives me this tightening feeling in my chest. I just know that it is not that time to start that conversation.

I know Dani has been briefly talking about her choice of universities. But like me, she seems to be dismissing it and only talking about her portfolio. We have a silent mutual understanding that when we're ready to make a decision, that's when we tell the other what it is.

Nat hung up the phone after promising to see me when I get back. I was left alone in my room with the birds chirping outside gave a comfortable silence. I triple checked my luggage and caught  myself looking in the mirror and thought that I looked different somehow.

I didn't have the usual worried lines on my face, and thought that I looked somehow content. I smiled at myself, and reminisced back when I used to be a different person, and how tiny my world was.

"Maverick are you ready? Dani is downstairs!" I heard my mom call.

My smile turned into a cheeky grin and I can't help but feel immense joy. I hurriedly grab my luggage and swiftly ran downstairs.

Dani was sitting in the dining area and was offered a cup of coffee by my mom. She caught my gaze and I matched her enthusiastic smile.

Mom, Dani and I chatted for little bit and talked about what she had planned for our trip. Apparently my mom knows all about it because Dani's Aunt Susan has been blabbering about us on the phone with her.

"I want to know too." I told Dani.

"It'll just ruin the surprise." She replied with a shrug.

"Call me when you get there." My mom said while she walked me and Dani outside to her car.  She kissed me on the cheek and waved us goodbye.

The inside of Dani's car was already warm, so I took off my toque and immediately tried to fight her for music. I gave in when she said that she spent hours making a playlist for this trip and tossed me her phone to look at the songs.