Coliding Bodies

Flash

"Yearbook committee would like to take pictures of the girls varsity basketball team." A freshman girl said while she mercilessly snapped photos of me during a practice drill. I was going for a layup and was startled by the flash which made me miss the basket.

I glared at the girl with hands on my hips, while she nonchalantly lifted her camera to snap another picture.

Flash

"Ugh." Now groaning in complaint while passing Gina the basketball. "Delete that." I said, my voice surprisingly cold. I was in a sour mood today, and I was easily irritated. I've also been missing my baskets lately, and it was really frustrating. My focus wasn't there, and it's been bugging me the whole day trying to figure out what it was.

Wiping my sweat on my forehead with the back of my hand, I approached the girl and asked her again to delete it.

"Nah." Said the girl, now grinning and snapping another picture.

Flash

My nose flared, and I stopped myself from barking out profanities that would likely make this girl cry.

"Get her good side." Gina said, and took hold of my shoulders to urning me sideways.

Flash

"Okay, now don't drop me." Gina said, laughing at my puzzled face before abruptly jumping on me. I narrowed my eyes and next thing I know I was carrying her bridal style.

"Let's see that smile, Maverick!" I heard Dani say, who was now beside the camera girl and grinning.

Flash

"What the fuck is going on?" I asked in confusion and dropped Gina. She fell on her butt, and crawled away, laughing.

Dani said something to the camera girl, and she nodded. She jogged towards me and said,

"Try to smile at the camera, Mave." She said before squatting low, and shoving me with her bum which made me lunge forward. Next thing I know, she was grabbing my legs and I was holding on to her shoulders. Dani was giving me a piggyback. She quickly pushed me upwards more and turned to look at me. Her strength surprised me a little, and I gave out a little yelp from how quickly she adjusted my position.

"You okay, up there?" She asked, smiling at me softly.

I couldn't help it, I leaned my head on her shoulder and smiled back at her. My little rage left me from earlier, and I was now preoccupied with her closeness.

Flash

"Okay, now I need a picture of the whole team." The girl said, looking bored in our direction. She saw Mrs. Russ and quickly approached her.

"I hate picture day." I mumbled, which made Dani chuckle.

"It's not that bad. It'll be over quickly." She said, not letting go of me yet. I didn't mind, I was actually enjoying the piggyback ride.

Mrs. Russ was immediately trying to gather the girls in the middle of the court. They were trying to fix themselves to look presentable. All of us were sweaty and gross, but Mrs. Russ was handing out towels to dry ourselves. She was also handing out new jerseys for everyone to wear. The girls excitedly ran to the changerooms to change.

Dani finally let me down, while she went to a different changeroom to change.

Mrs. Russ gave me mine, and it had the C on the front of it. I can't help but smile and remembering how nervous I was when they told me that I was going to be captain. I looked at the door to the change rooms and frowned at how busy it was. I quickly followed Dani to the other one.