It's a Secret

Chapter Thirty-One:
It's a Secret

I'm getting a little touchy. And I don't know if I like it, or not.

Maybe because I can't distinguish the moment I'm being friendly with Dani, or the moment that I'm being really friendly with Dani.

I've been noticing how I would involuntarily touch her either on the arm, her hand, poking her nose, and even hugging her.

After we had hot chocolate after basketball practice, and I dropped her off at her house, I literally unbuckled my seatbelt and pulled her in for a hug. I mean, I do it all the time with Dennis, and Natasha, so it shouldn't feel any different.

But goddamn it, it feels totally different.

When I pulled back, I gave her a tight smile and awkwardly stared at her for a few seconds. I wondered, for a short moment, if she finds my behaviour oddly different. But Dani just looked like she was making fun of me, as always.

"Alright, Mave." She said as she burst out laughing. "I'll see you later."

Dani opened the passenger door, and was starting to step out when I said,

"I'll soon catch the later-"

I faced palmed, and I groaned in complaint. Again, because I get so nervous around her, my brain will function so fast that I literally couldn't even form words properly anymore.

"What?" Dani asked, giggling and looking back at me with total amusement.

I breathed out into my mittens and refused to look at her. Dani was now on full laughter mode. I glanced at her sideways, thinking how she could look so lovely when a loud snort came out of her from laughing too hard.

She reached forward for my toque and teasingly pulled it down on my eyes.

"I'll soon catch the later, Mave." I heard her say. "Or-" she held up an index finger. "If we're being poetic here, I shall say, I'll soon catch the latter, with you." She added a wink, and a finger gun while clicking her tongue.

"Smooth." I said, shaking my head in disbelief, but totally flattered. "Real smooth. You've completely took an idiom to another level. It's something Shakespeare would do, and you should be proud."

"I beg to differ." She said, stepping out of my vehicle and closing it. I pressed the automatic button to pull the window down. "Why can't they be called, the Danielle level? I'm important enough, aren't I?

"You have to make history."

"I made history when I was born." She said chuckling. "Every single one of us made history when we're born. We're making history, every second! See, I'm saying this to remind you again that you're important."

I gave Dani a genuine smile.

"You're right." I said. "I'll keep that in mind."

"You better." She replied, as she started to walk backwards towards their house slowly. "See ya." She wiggled her fingers goodbye playfully.

I rolled my eyes and shooed her goodbye.

*

"Do you know how much our budget is for the party that we're throwing this winter break?" Natasha asked nonchalantly, as soon as I entered my bedroom.