What Are They Doing In The Closet

Chapter Eleven:
What Are They Doing In The Closet?

My parents and I arrived at the Dubois' place at exactly seven-ten in the evening. We were dressed formally, just like in church this morning but in different attires. My teeth chattered from the cold and I danced on the front porch to keep myself warm as we wait for someone to open the door.

I held the book that Dani wanted to borrow and stared at it seeing as it looked a bit old. I've read it a few times already, and I swear that somewhere in that book had wrinkled pages due to my tears falling from a dramatic scene.

"It's so cold!" I complained as I grabbed my mom's arm and pulled her closer to me. "I can't feel my legs."

The windchill hit my face and the impact made it sting a little bit. Finally, someone opened the door, and Dani's grandma welcomed us into their home. She's a surprisingly tall woman with a full head of white hair that's cut short just below her ears.

"Come on in, coats hang over there." Then she shook hands with my parents, and pulled my mom for a hug. They talked for a bit, and then my mom introduced me.

"Yes, yes, I've met your daughter in church this morning. A friend of Danielle's?"

"Yes ma'am." I replied, nodding my head.

Then we made our way inside, where a great hall with marbled floors shone like never before, a chandelier placed on the middle of the ceiling and looking bright and elegant, then the people who attended reminds me of a British movie. I was in awe. Their house is beautifully designed, as if it's made for a movie.

I stepped further inside, and immediately saw Natasha with her parents who happened to talk to Dani's grandfather. As if she felt my presence, she turned her head and saw me, giving me a small smile as she excused herself and approached me.

"Mave." My best friend Natasha greeted, her black dress looking very pretty on her and her blonde hair loose hanging around her shoulders.

Suddenly, what Dennis told me about cutting her off of my life was reminded, and I got so terrified that I instinctively pulled her for a hug.

"Hi." I said, wrapping my arms around her hips and kept tears from falling. "Hi, Nat."

"Oh Mave, can we talk?" Her voice soft and low in a comforting way.

"We can, and we will." I said, now pulling back and holding her hand.

And so we did.

Natasha talked about how she doesn't want to break up with Tom, and that she's happy with him. But then she brought up that she knows that I dislike Tom, and that she hoped that I can be civil around him. She also brought up that I should accept the fact that she's dating Tom now, because it hurts her that I don't support her in a way.

Then I talked about Dennis, and how her relationship with Tom deeply hurt him, and the betrayal that has been done. Natasha then said that she was truly sorry, and that she couldn't do anything about it anymore. She tried hard to get along with Dennis, but it seems as though that Dennis has been ignoring her.

It made me feel a little bad because our friendship squad is again, falling apart. But then it made me wonder why Dennis would all of a sudden be angry when he told me that he's 'over it' a few days ago.