What I Think

Chapter Sixteen:
What I Think

Mrs. Russ gave us a five-minute water break, and almost all of the girls left the gym to go fill up their water bottles. Gina and I knew that this would happen, so we brought a second water bottle with us before tryouts even started. That way we wouldn't be lining up by the water fountain, and wasting our time.

Some of the girls were complaining already that they felt tired, and that Mrs. Russ was being too harsh on us. Gina and I rolled our eyes, knowing that this was only the easy part of the tryouts. What they don't know yet is that Mrs. Russ would split all the girls into groups of five to form a team, then scrimmage with other teams. After that, Mrs. Russ and the other coaches would determine which girls made it to the official team, and which didn't.

While I was trying to stretch out my calves, I watched as Mrs. Russ approached Dani. I wasn't surpised if she was already complimenting Dani for her outstanding skills earlier, and soon enough, both of them turned their heads to stare at me.

I sighed, knowing that our coach had told Dani about my achievements with the team. I mean, I should be proud that I became the MVP last year, but I don't feel like I've done enough. It feels like I haven't reached my full potential yet, and I'm hoping for more improvement. I guess that's why they call me an over-achiever.

I don't really know how to react with winning an award. Maybe a smile, or so, but meh. My parents weren't complaining though.

Their talk ended, and Dani immediately came rushing after me. I sighed and continued to stretch my calves.

"You're full of surprises." Dani said, grinning. I smiled at her sheepishly and took hold of her shoulder for support as I stretch.

"Just being humble." I replied.

"That's admirable." Dani looked like she was going to say something else, but decided against it. Then, she opened her mouth, but closed them quickly.

"Oh my god Dani, spit it out." Gina said from behind me, and throwing a towel at Dani's sweaty face. I laughed and stepped closer to her, as I wiped her forehead, and the side of her face with the towel. Gina looked at us weird and went inside the change room to get her headband.

Gina's unexpected look kind of took me by surprise, and it was almost as if I was caught on doing something wrong. I immediately dropped my arms at my sides, and smiled at Dani sheepishly.

"It's just that... I didn't expect-" Dani blurted. "I thought that you would suck at sports."

"I think you're being too cocky." I told her, as I took a step back. Is it just me, or did the air became heavier?

"What? How?" Dani asked.

I made an attempt to copy her lop-sided smirk that annoyed me during our pylon drill. Dani snickered.

"What the hell was that?" She asked, laughing now. "You look like you've just dumped a load of shit and felt satisfied."

"That's what you looked like!" I accused. "You literally made that face earlier!"

"Nuh-uh. I did not." Said Dani, who was now grinning widely. "But, seriously though. You're better than I expected you to be."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, really now? What did you expect of me?" I asked, curious of what she would say about me.

"I thought that you were kidding about joining the basketball team, and I also thought that you were lying about previously being on the team before."