b l i n k

"Don't blink. Blink and you're dead."
The Tenth Doctor

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □

"This is Weste–"

"Do you have any experience with hosting cheerleading tryouts?"

"Astonishingly, they're not my forte."

"How do you host cheerleading tryouts?"

'Truthfully, I've never tried."

"Look, this is my first year of being the head cheerleader, and I want to get this right. This is important to me, Peanut!"

"More so than your eyesight?"

"Can we just forget about my eyes for the next three days? We'll cross that bridge when we get there."

"We're already at that bridge, otherwise you wouldn't have called in the first place."

"Shut up. Got any advice for tryouts?"

"Look, you had to try out for cheerleading before, right? Don't you know how this process works?"

"I guess, but I've never had a proper look at the behind the scenes part."

"Speaking from common sense, you should put up an application form. You'll need some way to know who the hopeful individuals are, right?"

"Oh, good point. Thanks, Peanut."

"Are you you being sarcastic?"

"What? No, of course not!"

"Alright, alright! Don't get defensive on me. I was just asking."

"Do you happen to have any glitter pens?"

"Why would I have glitter pens?"

"Because the application form needs to appeal to the visual eye, otherwise no one's going to try out and I'm going to be the first failure as the head cheerleader and everyone will hate me and I'll be cast into the depths of the social hierarchy and made to live in the trash can at the back of the classroom–"

"Woah there! Slow your roll."

"My roll is perfectly slow, Peanut!"

"Not when you sound like a madwoman! Look, you don't need glitter pens. Being a cheerleader automatically boosts you to the top of the social hierarchy, right? Everyone will flock up to you like ants to honey. You'll be fine."

"...I just want these tryouts to be perfect."

"And they will be, uh– I just realized that I don't know your name."

"Call me Retina."

"Because it's spelt like Regina from Mean Girls and you love popularity just as much as she does?"

"No, you dumbo! Retinas are related to eyes, aren't they? I thought you'd appreciate that, being an optometrist and all."

"Wow, great choice of nickname, Retina. Confetti. Party. Balloons?"

"Alright, I prefer your obliviousness over your sarcasm. Anyway, I should get to those application forms. I just hope people show up to get them."

"Just be yourself, people will swarm around you. Whatever happens, just remember that you even made it to the top of the social hierarchy. Guess who didn't? Hint, it's the guy you're talking to right now."

"I'll try and take your advice to heart."

"You'll be fine, Retina."

"I sure hope so, Peanut."