d a n c e

"Don't be eye candy, be soul food." Unknown

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □

Tristan's POV

"Oh yeah, Fletcher's coming too," Tristan mentioned as an afterthought, spinning around in his chair before a nauseated feeling came over him. Before he could hear Retina's response, he tapped 'end call' on his phone and set it down softly.

Honestly, it wasn't like he actually wanted to go to his mother's fancy business party or anything. Unfortunately, since his mother enjoyed sipping the not-very-occasional drink of wine and mingling with the guests of honor, he figured that it was smart for him to be designated driver, since he personally hated alcohol and would gladly let it burn in the depths of hell.

On another note, was Retina good with kids? Just thinking about her and Hope plotting evil schemes and being Team Double Bitches made him grimace. Because if she did something to screw Hope's night up... actually no, the little brat deserved it for calling her when he specifically told her not to! Did children have ears?

Bah, kids and their crappy impressions of Beethoven.

Rolling his eyes, Tristan mindlessly arranged the books on his bookshelf in chronological order, relishing in the perfectionism of it all; but at the same time, reminiscing the days when Hope didn't exist on this planet and royally screw up his love life.

Okay, that was kinda mean.

Besides, what kind of 'love' life did he even have with Retina?! Oh right, there wasn't one! They were just friends. No, barely even friends, he was just the expert and she was the patient who still hadn't had her eyes fixed yet.

We have no chemistry, he scolded himself. We're just friends, stupid brain! What happened to you being on my side?

This time, the inner voice did not say anything, as though it was just silently judging him like, 'mate, you stupid.' He didn't know what to make of his and Retina's friend-slash-awkward-relationship. They had some of the strangest conversations, but for some reason, he actually enjoyed talking to her! Crazy, right?

To be honest, he also had no idea why he had put off researching whatever was wrong with her eyes yet. It wasn't like he was the type of guy to procrastinate, pshh, no! Of course not! When in the effin' hell did he ever procrastinate? What was this procrastination society spoke of? A foreign word? A spy code?

Great, now he was procrastinating admitting his procrastination problem.

Either way, it wasn't like him to leave questions and tasks for this long. Sure, Retina was a great girl with a great personality, but what made her so special? Well, if she provided him with pizza, it would get way better; but hell, he liked her even without the additional pizza! What was up with him? Was this... was this a crush?

Nope, stupid disobedient crazy brain.

Absolutely not a crush!

"Tristy, why are you still in here? It's been ages!" a cute little voice interrupted Tristan's thoughts. Hope, his seven-year-old younger sister, wandered into the room. She energetically leaped onto the bed and jumped up and down mercilessly, springs creaking dangerously beneath her small feet.

"Jeez, Hope," Tristan muttered under his breath, running a hand through his already messy hair, just to make it even messier. He still didn't get why girls like Retina cared so much about physical appearances. Hello? It was just hair! Hair, which everyone grew. Whoop-de-doo, pieces of keratin sticking out of your skin!