Chapter 1(The results of a mistake)

"I'm sorry Ms. Fisher, but I'll have to let you go, Mr. Johnson," Kaylyn's boss announced.

She stared at him in disbelief, her mouth hanging in surprise. "W- What! Why?!" she gasped, her eyes wide as she sought answers from the man who had been her boss for years.

"Because of this," the burly man exclaimed, reaching under his desk and pulling out a newspaper. Kaylyn stared at it in confusion.

"What does a newspaper have to do with you firing me?" she asked in outrage.

Mr. Johnson cocked a brow and eased back in his chair. "Look closely."

Kaylyn sighed, thinking it was all so very ridiculous. She peered at the paper, a gasp escaping her lips as her eyes came in contact with its contents. Instinctively, her hands went to cover her mouth. It was startling! Her face was plastered across the paper, kissing the man she'd met at the bar last week!! Kaylyn's head swirled, she looked even more hideous in the picture! How was it even possible for them to capture a picture when they had been in the confines of a private room? She felt the bile rise at the back of her throat when she read further in the article. She had sex with one of the most influential businessmen in New York! He was also engaged to be married to Catherine Belle; the daughter of Constantine Belle- the owner of Belle enterprises!

Kaylyn suddenly felt the tears prick the back of her eyes. She felt disgusted with herself. How-

She was cut from her thoughts by Mr. Johnson. "We cannot allow this type of attention to be placed on our company and I certainly cannot accept this type of behavior. You did a good job here but I'm afraid, it has come to an end. Pack your things and be on your way, he exclaimed," his words harsh.

Kaylyn gasped as the first of many tears fell from her eyes. She didn't question his decision, she didn't challenge him because everything just came crashing down and she was more concerned about her actions more than her job at that current moment.

Moving to the small cubicle where she had her stuff, Kaylyn packed her things with a heavy heart and left with eyes on her, questions in her co-workers gazes and gossip on their lips.

#

Matthew glared at the article in front of him, his face flaming with anger, his green eyes shooting fire.

"Elaine!" he barked at his secretary through the intercom.

"Uh- y-yes sir," she stuttered, her voice shaky.

"Get in here now!" he growled between tightly clenched teeth.

Within a minute, the petite blonde girl dashed into his office.

"Sir?" she said, pushing up her glasses which had been sitting on the top of her nose.

"Explain!" he sneered, throwing the paper in the girl's direction.

She quickly caught it and glanced at the contents. "I- I don't know what... What must I do?" she croaked.

"Find out everything you can about this magazine company. They'll regret ever messing with me!" he exclaimed angrily, his nose flaring.

The girl nodded and turned on her heels, almost falling over her own feet. She spun around and stared at Matthew.

He cocked a brow. "That's all. Get the hell out and do as I tell you!"

Elaine almost ran.

Matthew ran a hand through his hair. He was furious! He failed to believe the audacity of that magazine company. He was a highly respected businessman in the city and was engaged to be married to a woman convenient enough to be his wife.