Chapter 32 (Father, daughter talk)

A few minutes in her sleep, Kaylyn woke up to find a blanket snuggly wrapped around her. Curiosity got the better of her as she wondered who might have done it, but when she realised that Matthew was the only other person in the house, she paled.

      Her cheeks flamed with a blush when she again realized that she was only in a bra. Matthew had seen her! She thought in panic, suddenly using her hands to clasp her shoulders. Stiffly, Kaylyn moved from the bed and pulled on a shirt, before she decided to go to the bathroom.

       As she opened the door, she paused when she heard muttering downstairs. Curiosity got the better of her and she found herself wandering down the stairs, careful not to be heard.

      Kaylyn's breath hitched in her throat when she closed in on the voices and recognized them too well. For a moment, she couldn't move because her shock had paralyzed her, but as she listened, the numbness moved from her legs to her heart.

       Taking another step around the corner, her worst fears were confirmed when she saw her Father having a conversation with Matthew. She listened as they spoke and the topic of the conversation brought back a feeling of nostalgia as she was forced to relive the happenings of years ago.

      Some things that she heard shocked her to the core because she did not know her mother was the one who prevented her from getting a job when she had left. She had found it strange at the time, when every business place she went turned her down. She didn't quite understand at the time, but this was revelation for her.

       Kaylyn's lips trembled as she listened further in the conversation and all the hurt she had felt during that phase threatened to topple her over. Her body trembled and her eyes watered, bursting the dam in her eyes which soon flooded her face.

      "Kaylyn, honey," Patrick exclaimed as he looked over Matthew's shoulders and at Kaylyn.

Through her tear blurred eyes, she was able to see the panic and fear on Matthew's face, and without hesitation he dashed from the sofa and to her side. As he stood before her, he carefully examined her face, his eyes then trailing along her body to see if she was hurt otherwise.

Matthew swallowed hard, hating to see her tears. He had seen them too much over the past days and it increased his need to protect and never let her go. If he could take half her hurt onto himself, he would because he thought she had been through enough.

Matthew pulled her into his arms like he had done the night before and used his hands to smoothen the top of her head. He felt the vibrations of her sobs on his chest and he held her tighter, wanting to take them away.

      "Kaylyn honey," Patrick announced again from behind and Matthew's body stiffened, his veins pulsing with fire.

Still holding Kaylyn to him, he spun around, his eyes shooting daggers at the old man. "Get out!" he growled between tightly clenched teeth, but Patrick didn't. He was determined to have a word with his daughter.

He had never meant to cause her greater pain than the one she was going through, but all he needed was a few words. He didn't care if she threw him out, or never forgive him later; he just wanted to talk with his baby girl.

Seeing the man's hesitance, Matthew grew more furious. It was like déjà vu for him because not long ago, he was having the same difficulty getting someone else from his house. He was not going to have that again.

     "Leave," he warned sternly for the second time, knowing that the third time would not come.

      "Kaylyn honey, I just want to talk to you," Patrick begged, his hands outstretched to reach for her.