Chapter 21 (Confirmation)

After work that day, Kaylyn went home, feeling like an accomplished woman. There was not much that she did, but the feeling of independence that consumed her was too great for her to feel anything else but happiness.

As she opened the door to Matthew's house, Sapphire greeted her with a smile on her face.

       "I'm glad you're home!" she squealed as she ran and hugged Kaylyn, who bent on her knees to properly receive the hug.

      "How was school today?" she asked using her fingers to tuck some loose tendrils of hair behind her ear.

      "OK," was the simple reply she got. "Daddy isn't home yet. He always works late, but my nanny is here. Would you like to meet her?" she asked, pulling Kaylyn towards the kitchen as she stood.

Kaylyn laughed and followed behind.

They came upon the kitchen and Kaylyn glanced at the woman who had her back turned while preparing something over the stove. She was petite, with long blonde hair flowing down her slender back.

     "Liz!" Sapphire exclaimed loudly, and the woman slightly jumped, frightened. She turned around and Kaylyn was finally able to see her face. She was probably in her thirties, Kaylyn thought.

Upon seeing Kaylyn, Liz, smiled, dusting her hands into the apron around her waist. "Oh, hello! You must be Kaylyn. Sapphire has told me a lot about you," she exclaimed enthusiastically, moving towards Kaylyn.

Kaylyn smiled at the kindness in the woman's tone, as she stretched forth her hand for a handshake. "That's right," she chuckled. "It's nice to meet you," she greeted, watching from the corner of her eyes as Sapphire stood watching the exchange with a proud smile on her little face.

       "Likewise," Liz smiled, and then went back to her pot. "I'm just about done with dinner. It will be served in about five minutes tops," she provided, guessing that they might be hungry.

       "Come on Kaylyn, I've gotta show you something I made at school today," Sapphire exclaimed eagerly, once again pulling Kaylyn in her desired direction.

Liz turned and smiled and Kaylyn returned it before stumbling behind an eager Sapphire.

#

Matthew sat at the counter of the closest bar he could find from his workplace. He had been sitting, waiting for Jason for about five minutes now and he was quite frankly, getting tired of waiting.

He wondered if Kaylyn was already home, or if she was staying behind with Jason at work. Matthew suddenly felt angered by the mere thought. As she pulled his phone from his pocket and began to dial Jason's number, he felt a pat on his shoulder.

He brought the phone down from his ear, when Jason came into view. Sighing in relief, he shoved the phone in his pocket.

       "Took you long enough," he argued and Jason chuckled lightly.

        "Scotch please," he told the bartender who was not far away, then he levelled his gaze at Matthew. "What's up?" he asked.

     "I need you to fire Kaylyn," he blurted firmly and Jason stared at him unblinkingly for some passing seconds, before he laughed.

"Funny," he said, still grinning.

Matthew sighed frustratingly. "Does it look like I'm joking idiot," he sneered.

Jason snorted, taking the glass from the bartender as he turned it to his head, taking a sip. "Well you are either joking or insane," he quipped, baring his teeth at the taste of the liquor.

      "Look, are you blind? Can't you see she's pregnant?" Matthew snapped.

Jason nodded. "Yes pregnant, not disabled," he pointed out slowly to Matthew, a bit surprised that he considered Kaylyn's health so important.

Matthew raked his hand through his hair in aggravation, and then took a long gulp of his drink. "I don't want her working dammit, and she won't listen to me. You're my only hope," he exclaimed with a tinge of desperation to his tone.

Jason gaped intently at his friend, noting the lines of tension that smeared his face. He understood what he was saying, and as a matter of fact, he wouldn't want his woman working during pregnancy either, but in order for him to get to Kaylyn, he had to be around her.

      "It won't kill her," he replied drily. Matthew slammed his hand to the counter.

       "Why are you such an ass? Don't you see what I'm doing here? Dont you remember what happened to Marsha?" he asked angrily. "I'm being responsible! Having the woman under my roof alone will not suffice," he spat angrily.

The cup froze at Jason's mouth, when he heard the last bit of Matthew's sentence. "Under your roof?" he asked in clarification.

      "Yes dammit, I convinced her to move in with me a few days ago," he informed, and Jason placed his beverage to the counter, his appetite for it suddenly gone.

He wiped his mouth with his hand as he stared blankly at the polished surface. "What about Catherine?" He suddenly blurted, still finding his friend's revelation quite incredulous.

    "We broke things off after I told her about Kaylyn," Matthew told him in a more calmed tone.

Jason's head snapped towards Matthew in shock, his eyes wide with disbelief. "You called off things with Catherine?" he had to repeat to see if his hearing was probably playing tricks on him.

      "Yes, are you deaf?" Matthew hissed, watching the reaction of his friend. Of course he must've found it shocking... Anyone would.

       "So you and Kaylyn are now an..." Jason trailed off, not wanting the last word to fall from his lips and confirm his fear. "Item?" he completed quickly.

Matthew was hesitant with his answer, not knowing that his friend was probably shitting his pants with eagerness for a reply. "No," he finally said, sounding a tad disappointed.

Jason hadn't even realized he was holding his breath until Matthew spoke. The relief that swam through his body almost left him faint. He smiled inwardly, thinking all was not lost, and even though he would have to fight harder for this desired woman, he still felt an inkling of hope.

       "I'm sorry Matthew my friend, but I will not fire Kaylyn. You'll have to think of something else," Jason exclaimed as he got up from his chair, patting Matthew emphatically on the back.

He left Matthew there, boiling with anger. He muttered a loud curse, causing onlookers to turn. Matthew didn't know what else to do. What a good friend Jason was, he thought with dripping sarcasm.

He sighed, knowing that there was not much more he could do to have his way.

His phone suddenly rang and Matthew groaned, not wanting to talk to anyone. He answered anyway.

     "Hello." His tone was unpleasant.

      "Matthew, it's me. Catherine," the soft voice announced. Matthew pulled in a breath.

         "Hi," he replied groggily.

      "Well, I'm still awaiting an answer for the dinner party. Will you bring a date or not? I need to know so we can cater to the amount of guests we'll have," she explained softly.

Matthew sighed heavily. "Yes, yes. I'll bring Kaylyn," he said, suddenly feeling exhausted.

     "OK gre-"  She didn't have time to complete her sentence because Matthew disconnected the call, oblivious of the danger his confirmation to the dinner would bring.

     __________________________________
Yaay!!! Two updates in a day!!! Whaaaat?! *grin*
I hope you guys enjoyed!!

I will try and update in a few days, but I'm not sure because I will be busy next week :)
I'll try though.

Thank you for supporting this book. I hope you guys are enjoying thus far!!
*blows kisses*

Until next time...
Laters baby
Xoxo
Juju