Chapter 37 (Marsha)

Knowing his parents, Matthew knew that he should expect the unexpected, but nothing could have prepared him for the question in which his mother posed. It left him defenceless and too awkward to formulate a reply.

        "We er- we" Matthew trailed off, unsure of what else to say.

Rachel and John suddenly began to laugh so hard they had to hold onto each other for support. John honey, did you see Matt's face, she managed breathlessly, her voice trembling with laugher. And poor Kaylyn looked like she has seen a ghost, Rachel laughed, using her fingers to wipe the joyous tears that formed in her eyes.

They continued to laugh while Kaylyn and Matthew stared at them in disbelief.

      "We got you this time huh. Anyway, I was just kidding. It's your lives, you should know how to make your own decisions," Rachel smiled, pinching Matt's cheeks.

    "Come let's talk. Sapphire honey, why don't you go play with your toys while the grown-ups talk," Rachel suggested as she stoop to talk to her granddaughter.

Sapphire pouted. "I don't have to. My baby brain won't understand a thing you're saying," she stated.

Rachel laughed. "I have a feeling that this baby brain will understand everything," she pinched her cheeks and placed a kiss on her forehead. Run along now.

Sapphire glanced at Kaylyn for approval. "I'll be fine honey. I'll be up in a while," she reassured and Sapphire nodded before she stomped off.

The little display did not go unnoticed by Rachel. She smiled without saying a word and then moved to the living room, where they sat.

     "So how far along is my grand baby?" Rachel asked as soon as she was settled comfortably in the sofa.

     "Sixteen weeks," Kaylyn provided.

    "Wow, and your bump is hardly showing," she acknowledged, dropping her gaze to kaylyn's stomach.

Kaylyn smiled.

      "You know I've always told Matthew that he needed to get back out there after Marsha died, but he became a Playboy instead. I thought he was finally settling down when I heard of his engagement to that Catherine girl, but eh, she was just about as cuddly as a cactus," Rachel remarked.

       "Mom-"

       "Who's Marsha?" Kaylyn couldn't resist asking.

Rachel sighed sadly before answering.     "She's Sapphire's mother. Died right after giving birth to Sapphire, God bless her soul," she explained in a saddened tone, oblivious of the fact that she was rehashing the events of the past.

Kaylyn gasped, swinging her head to look at Matthew, with newly formed tears in her eyes. Matthew used the tip of his tongue to moisten his lips, as he used a finger to massage his temple.

      "Kaylyn sweetheart, is something wrong?" Rachel asked in concern seeing the tears that spilled from her eyes.

She shook her head to clear her thoughts as she stood. "Excuse me," she said shakily before dashing from the room.

Rachel and John glared at Matthew in confusion and concern. "Did I say anything wrong?" she asked.

Matthew shook his head and sighed. "Kaylyn has a condition called placenta Previa. Both her and the baby may be at risk during birth," he informed before getting up to find Kaylyn, taking a glimpse at his mother who used her hand to cover her mouth in order to hide her shock.

#

Matthew found her in the garden, sitting on a bench. She didn't notice his presence, because her back was turned, but he was able to see how she hugged her shoulders and rocked her body to the imaginary tune of sorrow.

He inhaled deeply and moved towards her, sitting on the space beside her. He looked ahead at the flourishing plants as he thought of what he would say to her.

A minute passed before he finally developed the courage to talk.

      "I met Marsha at a charity auction. She was so beautiful that I was immediately captivated by her laugh and gentle spirit. A few months in the relationship she fell pregnant, we were so happy when we found out it was a baby girl," Matthew managed a laugh and paused as he hung his head to prepare himself for what he would say next. "But she developed high blood pressure which resulted in seizures during childbirth. The doctors were able to save Sapphire, but Marsha..." he trailed off and shook his head, while trying to develop some courage. "She didn't even get the chance to see the beauty she had created," Matthew's throat burned as he spoke, an indication of the grief that was slowly consuming his body.

       "She died..." he finally uttered through a hoarse voice. Looking up at Kaylyn, he saw the sadness in her smoky grey eyes, and the tears that stained her face, but Matthew knew that he had to get everything out in the open. "And on that day a part of me died with her," he choked out brokenly, placing his face in his palms to create a barrier for the tears that threatened to spill.

He considered himself to be a strong man and so he sucked in the tears, but what was the use of strength when the heart was weak?

Kaylyn folded her lips, understanding his grief and without thinking twice, she reached for him, enveloping him in her arms as his body shook with the tremors of tears. Matthew had always given her a shoulder to cry on, but this time, a little change was well needed.

All the buried emotions came tumbling because despite being the tough guy he was, this was the first since Marsha died that he ever spoke to anyone about it and the memories were a bit tough to relive. The weight of his sorrows had built a grave for him, leaving him to bury himself in the only thing he thought would quell his grief -and that was his work; but now, without even realizing, Kaylyn was slowly crumbling the walls he had built after Marsha's death.

Matthew brought himself up to look at Kaylyn with his blue eyes glossy with his tears and face flushed. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier," he stated shakily, as he quickly wiped his face. "I just couldn't bring myself to do so. I- I didn't want to upset you further," he spoke in a tone that spoke of sincerity, wanting to make Kaylyn believe that what he was saying was true, but the words had deemed useless because forgiveness was already given.

Kaylyn reached for his hand and gently squeezed it. "It's OK. I understand and Im sorry for your loss," she smiled reassuringly.

The silence that followed gave them both some time to compose themselves and when that was achieved, Matthew smiled. "We'll be fine. We'll get through this together," he said, nodding convincingly.

Kaylyn, believing the words were true, leaned in on Matthew's chest. He wrapped an arm around her, and held her to him as they sat silently, neither of them cognizant of the fact that Rachel and John were lurking around a corner, watching every second of their emotional moment.

Rachel smiled up at her husband pleasingly. "They will be just fine," she acknowledged warmly, as she watched with love.

John placed a hand around his wife's shoulders and pulled her closer to him as he too watched contentedly. "Yes, they will be," he smiled, placing a kiss on the top of Rachel's head.

____________________________________

Hey guys!!! *waves* Hope you all enjoyed that chapter!! And I hope you all are fine!

Matthew and Kaylyn seems to be inching closer together!!! Can I get a yaaay!!?
Let me know your thoughts in the comments!! :)

Well until next time...
Laters baby ;)
Xoxo
Juju