Chapter 34 (Cupid's up to something)

Jason stood wide eyed, failing to believe that what he saw, was actually what happened. Perhaps his eyes were playing tricks on him, he thought in dismay as he stared at Kaylyn and Matthew who was recovering from the shock of getting caught.
      Jason's thoughts were in a clutter as a load of unanswered questions floated around in his head. He had thought there was nothing going on between the two, and so he had used that fact to get closer to Kaylyn, but now it seemed, Jason thought, that he was greatly mistaken.

     His eyes slowly shifted to Kaylyn and he watched her hung head and cheeks aflame with a blush. Grinding his teeth, when he spotted the faint smile on Matthew's face, Jason cleared his throat.

       "I'm so sorry for interrupting," he ground out tightly with not an ounce of genuineness to his words.

Matthew cleared his throat. "Er- I thought you said you weren't going to come until dinner," Matthew exclaimed with a slight frown.

      "Yeah. I er-business took up less time than I had thought so I thought, why not surprise you guys," he stiffly smiled, thinking that he was the surprised one in the situation.

       "Oh. I haven't started dinner as yet, but since you're here, you can give me a hand," Matthew suggested.

       "Oh cool," he said, casting his gaze once again to Kaylyn. "How are you Kaylyn?" he asked amidst the awkwardness.

Her head finally lifted to look at him, the blush never leaving her cheeks. "I'm fine Mr Felix, thanks for asking," she said, managing a tight lipped smile.

Jason nodded, taking a moment to run his gaze over her form. Her eyes seemed a bit puffy and her face flushed, but that didn't take away from her beauty. He was unable to see her physical feminine attributes, because the clothes she was wearing, simply did not give her figure any justice. He nevertheless admired her modesty as well as her beauty.

Matthew, seeing the way his friend was staring at Kaylyn as if she was the only one in the room, knitted his brows in curiosity and cleared his throat.

He watched as Jason's head swiftly spun around to him, and Matthew knew that he was frightened.

       "Kaylyn, why don't you take some rest. I'll discuss everything with Jason," he told her pointedly, not taking favour in her downcast eyes. It was evident to Matthew that the woman was still embarrassed or rather regretful of the happenings of moments ago.

Kaylyn nodded, not meeting his gaze. She knew she was acting like a teenaged virgin, but how could she bring herself to look in his eyes after what happened, she thought. Her boss- ex boss had caught her kissing his friend! she thought hysterically. Kaylyn bit her lips, immediately remembering the taste and feel of Matthew's lips against hers. She groaned inwardly, wanting to free herself of the embarrassing memory.

She turned to leave, but almost bumped into Matthew, not realizing that he had been in her way. He stepped to one side to let her past and she stepped in the same direction, causing Matthew to still block her. Looking up at him, she managed a stiff smile whilst attempting to step past him again, but once more they both stepped in the same direction, and this time Kaylyn bumped into his chest.

Matthew quickly steadied her even though she was not at risk of a fall. The breath hitched in kaylyn's throat when he touched her, reminding her of how he had touched her moments ago. She quickly shrugged out of his embrace and slid around him, breaking the contact as she now strolled freely from the room, still a bit shaky. Matthew watched as she left, biting his lips as he watched her disappear around the corner.

Jason was wearing a frown on his face as he watched the pathetic display that took place before him. He felt disgusted and immensely jealous at the fact that Matthew could just go around and get his way with any woman that he wanted. He had told him that nothing was going on between them, but watching this now, Jason knew it was the biggest lie his friend had ever told.

He had planned on making Kaylyn his woman, but seeing that Matthew was now in the picture, he knew he had to work a bit harder.

As soon as Matthew turned back to Jason his frown quickly took a turn.

       "So what's been going on man?" Jason asked, not particularly referring to Matthew's well-being, but the relationship between him and Kaylyn.

Matthew however thought he made reference to the former and not the latter. "I'm holding up," he answered.

     "What's going on between you and Kay -".

The door burst open causing Jason to stop talking in mid-sentence. Sapphire bolted through with a grin on her face.

       "Daddy," she squealed, ignoring Jason and running into Matthew's arms.

Matthew grabbed her into his arms and hoisted her up in the air, after which, planting her on his side. "Hey pumpkin, how was your play date?" he asked, kissing her on the cheeks.

      "It was awesome, but I wanted to come home", she grinned. "Where's Kaylyn?" she asked eagerly.

     "She must be sleeping upstairs," Matthew provided, not wanting Sapphire to disturb her, but she was already slithering through his arms.

     "Sapph honey. You can help me make dinner," he suggested with a grin.

Sapphire paused and shook her head. "I'd rather see Kaylyn," she said, half way on her way out of the kitchen. "Oh hi Uncle Jason," she called upon noticing Jason's presence.

Matthew chuckled and shook his head. "That girl is something else."

       "Yeah, it seems she has grown quite attached to Kaylyn," Jason noticed.

      "She has. She doesn't even want to go to school or go on play dates with her friends anymore," Matthew informed, reaching down to the lower cupboards to get the pots.

Jason rose a brow. "And you don't want to go to work," he stated flatly.

Matthew snorted. "What makes you say that?" he questioned.

      "Come on man. You have always been a workaholic. You've never had time for anything else but work. A man like you don't take the weekends off...you work, but now every time I call your office, your PA says you didn't come in. Just remember that you are one of the most successful businessmen in this state. F*ck that up, and you might lose everything," Jason exclaimed, knowing that what he was saying was true, and that's all he wanted Matthew to understand. Soon, he would see that business was business and family came second, Jason thought approvingly.

Matthew sighed. "Look man, I know what I'm doing. I dont need a lecture from you about my professionalism. At one point business did, come first but not anymore," he stated, the words sounding foreign to his own ears.

Jason applauded mockingly. "Well well well, look who decided to be a family guy", he laughed, but it lacked mirth. "Tell me something Matthew..." Jason added firmly.

Matthew sighed. "What?"

Jason waited a moment before he asked the question he feared the answer to.

      "Are you falling for Kaylyn Fisher?"

Matthew froze, the question taking him by surprise, and as he moved his lips to utter words of denial, he found that his lips could not be the source for such a lie.

___________________________________

Heeey awesome people!!! How are you guys doing?.
Did you guys enjoy this chapter? Let me know...

Matthew was caught off guard by Jason's question and Sapphire's back!!

Who's starting school soon? Excited? Sad? Miserable? Share your opinions, I'd like to know more about you guys!!

Well, until next time...
Laters baby
Xoxo
Juju