Chapter 45 (Love)

The doctor had wisely suggested that the family give Kaylyn some time to rest, but boy, Matthew was anxious. He was tempted to ask the doctor just how long was 'sometime', but upon further contemplation, he had decided that he was probably right. Kaylyn needed the rest, especially after losing so much blood. He wouldn't mind seeing her though, just watching her rest, he wouldn't mind that at all. He just wanted proof that he had not suffered from a replicated fate.

      Kaylyn had not left him, she had fought like Patrick and faith had said she would. She lived for life, and the very thought made Matthew's heart soar with happiness.

       The sadness that had been so evident in everyone's eyes earlier was now replaced with unfathomable joy. Prayers were answered, faith was kept and the result was astounding. Tears fell from his eyes, but they were not from the cause of the doubt that she may or may not have made it. He truly understood the meaning of tears of joy in this given situation. His happiness was an understatement.

Matthew spotted Patrick. He had his hands palms out on the wall, his body trembling as he too revelled in the immeasurable joy that now consumed his body. Matthew moved towards him, gently placing a hand on his frigid shoulders. He immediately turned with tears in his eyes, but a smile was etched on his face.

       "My baby girl made it Matthew, I knew she would..." he trailed off and pulled Matthew in his arms, body still being racked with tremors. "I told you she was a fighter."

Matthew grinned, patting the man on his shoulders. "Like her father."

Patrick suddenly pulled apart and forced a smile. "Aren't you going to take a look at your baby boy?" he asked, watching the way Matthew's eyes brightened at the mention of his son.

      "Of course. I wonder what he looks like," he laughed.

       "He'll look like the most beautiful thing you've ever seen." Patrick smiled.

       "He'll look like Kaylyn then," he concluded with a chuckle, earning one from Patrick as well.

#

An hour later, Matthew was escorted by a doctor to the incubatory. He was adorned in protective clothing given to him by the doctor to protect the baby from any possible bacteria. Matthew held a grin on his face the whole time, picturing a few possible ways in which the baby would look. He came to the conclusion that with his evident good looks and kaylyn's beauty, he would be perfect.

      His smile slightly faltered when the doctor directed him towards a small little thing harnessed in the small glass container. His little body was barely visible beneath the strings and machines attached to him. Tears welled in Matthew's eyes, but before they got a chance to fall, a reassuring hand was placed on his shoulder.

       "Don't worry," the doctor began. "This one's a fighter; he'll be out of here in no time."

Matthew nodded, managing a smile. He moved closer, leaning in to carefully examine the life he had created.

      "I'll just be outside," the doctor put in, patting Matthew on the shoulder. He nodded quickly, before bringing his gaze back to the baby.

      "Hey there, little guy," he whispered, smiling when he noted the scanty red hair that sprung from his small head.

       "He has Kaylyn's hair," Matthew concluded joyfully, a slow grin splitting his face.

His face was pink and chubby with a straight little nose and pinched rose red lips. He was unable to see his eyes because he was asleep. Gingerly, he reached down and placed his index finger between small fingers.