Chapter 13(Sapphire)

Matthew sighed at Kaylyns question. He had somehow forgotten to tell her about Sapphire. He glanced at Kaylyn then at Sapphire, noting the curiosity that visibly smeared the small child's face. Her hands were wrapped around Matthew's neck and her legs around his waist.

      "Daddy, who's she?" Sapphire brought her face down to Matthew's ear and attempted to whisper.

Matthew quickly kissed her on the forehead, before saying, "Pumpkin, this is a friend; she'll be staying with us."

Sapphire sceptically gazed at Kaylyn intently; giving her a thorough once over, then she grinned showing the few front teeth that were missing.

    "Hi, I'm Sapphire Mayhew. What's your name?" she asked brightly.

Kaylyn stared at the chubby cheeked child that was before her, still astonished by the news of her existence. The fact that Matthew had a child told Kaylyn to run for the hills; this was a huge deal and she was certain she wasn't taken with the idea of wrecking a home. As soon as things calmed down a little, she would be setting the record straight with Matthew.

Deciding to leave her questions for later, Kaylyn smiled and extended her hand. You have a pretty name that's just as pretty as you, she complimented and Sapphire blushed.

      "My name is Kaylyn Fisher," she completed with a smile.

     "Do you like fish?" she asked randomly.

Kaylyn laughed. "Very much."

     "I like it too, but daddy gives me the one without the bone because he doesn't want it to stick in my throat, but I think I can eat it all by myself and I tell him that I can but he doesn't listen," Sapphire ranted, pouting at Matthew.

     Matthew watched the exchange that took place before him and couldn't resist smiling. Sapphire was normally the shy type when being introduced to people and it had shocked him to see how she was chatting blatantly with Kaylyn.

       "Daddy can I show Miss Kaylyn my room?" she chirped.

Matthew's smile waned. "Er, honey Kaylyn has to get settled, how about later?"

     "Please," she insisted.

Matthew sighed and turned to Kaylyn. "Is that OK with you?" he asked.

Kaylyn's gaze shifted from Matthew to Sapphire and she then knew she couldn't say no to a face like hers.

    "Of course!"

    "Yay!" Sapphire cheered, jumping from Matthew.

She grabbed Kaylyn's hand and began dragging her towards the house. Kaylyn stumbled, trying to keep up with her, but grinned. Matthew smiled as he watched, continuing to pull Kaylyns luggage from the car.

#

     "Wow, your room is very pretty," Kaylyn complimented upon reaching the room, noting the lavender walls with butterfly stickers of all colours lining the edges. The bed was covered in pink sheets and stuffed animals which covered half of the already big bed.

      "Thank you," she said plopping down on the bed. "Are you really daddy's friend?" she asked, pulling a bunny towards her.

Kaylyn sighed and took a seat beside her on the bed. "You could say that," she answered hesitantly.

Sapphire smiled and patted the empty space next to her. "Come sit." Kaylyn did so.

      "There's an evil lady here, she says she is gonna marry daddy, but I don't want her to. She'll take me away from daddy so I won't get to see him again."

     "Take you away?" Kaylyn repeated.

     "Yes, to board school," she provided solemnly.

Kaylyn wondered if Matthew would really let that happen, to have his only child away from him to suit someone else, but then again, there was not much she knew about Matthew. Sapphire's words also told Kaylyn that Catherine was not her mother and there was not much a connection between the two.

      "Sapphire honey, I'll be right back and then you can show me around and help me unpack my things, OK?"

She grinned. "OK, but don't take too long, OK?" she warned.

Kaylyn smiled. "I won't," she reassured her before leaving the room.

Kaylyn searched for Matthew, moving carefully down the long flight of stairs. She glanced around the area, trying to catch a glimpse of him, or even a sound. She walked along, noting the well-polished furniture, darkly painted walls and the artwork that lined them. It looked more of a bachelor's pad than a house that actually had a child.

She spotted Matthew in what looked like the kitchen, and strolled towards him.

      "Would you like something to eat?" he asked as soon as he saw her.

     "Why didn't you tell me you have a child?" Kaylyn asked immediately, not delaying the topic.

Matthew sighed. "You never asked," he shrugged casually.

Kaylyn's mouth fell open. "You should've told me for Christ's sake!" she blared, instantly lowering her voice when she thought about Sapphire.

     "It wouldn't have mattered. It wouldn't have changed anything," he said pouring them some orange juice.

Kaylyn scoffed, staring at him in disbelief. "Of course it would have!" she exclaimed in hysteria.

    "Nothing would change," he shrugged.

     "Your fiancée will be around; I don't think I'll be able to handle that. This is all too much," she began pacing the room.

     "Are you suggesting I break off the engagement?" He asked, a conniving smile on his face.

Kaylyn's eyes widened. "Wha- no, of course not. That's not what I was implying," she paled. "Can I just go home please?"

      "You know that's out of the question," he said, shoving a glass of drink to Kaylyn before he took a gulp of his.

Kaylyn didn't have the appetite for anything so she ignored his offer. "Where are my things?" she asked, getting frustrated.

    "Why do you ask?" he questioned quizzically.

     "So I can go unpack!" she hissed aloud.

     "Oh, I'll show you," he rounded the corner and moved towards her.

Kaylyn sighed once more and walked behind him, climbing the everlasting steers again. Matthew strolled into a room opposite Sapphire's and paused at the door.

      "This is your room, make yourself at home," he smiled.

Kaylyn glanced around the room, big enough to be her previous apartment. It was nice but still masculine in some way.

      "Thanks. I'll be sure to lock myself in until the next six months," she quipped sardonically.

       "Don't be melodramatic. There is an adjoining bathroom, so you'll have your own privacy."

       "Are you ready to put your things away, Kaylyn?" Sapphire came running in.

Kaylyn smiled. "Just about."

      "Cool!" she exclaimed in excitement.

Matthew chuckled and turned to leave when he paused.

      "What's going on here?" a voice demanded, followed by a long an awkward silence.