Chapter 33 (A kiss to comfort)

Matthew dashed quickly to the sitting room where she was, his heart throbbing with the prospect of her being hurt

Matthew dashed quickly to the sitting room where she was, his heart throbbing with the prospect of her being hurt. He brought himself to a sudden halt, slightly sliding on the floor as his line of vision settled on what was happening before him.

Kaylyn's face was panic stricken as tears poured down her face in buckets. Her face was red, her mouth agape and her body trembling; Matthew's blood ran cold at the sight. For a moment his world stopped and the only images that presented themselves were that of Kaylyn's face and the horror that was etched on her features.

      Matthew's eyes momentarily diverted from Kaylyn and to the source of her tears. His eyes slightly widened because he was only just noticing the old man. He had thought that Kaylyn was the one hurt, but now as Matthew watched he realised that Patrick presented the problem.

       "I- I don't know what's happening?" Kaylyn sobbed.

Matthew stood there for a brief moment before his brain finally seemed to click. He didn't know what the problem with Patrick was, but Matthew found himself moving towards the kitchen. Quickly he poured a glass of room temperature water, before returning to the living room.

Kaylyn, with trembling hands, took it from him and managed a small smile before she handed it to Patrick, whose coughing fit seemed to have lessened by a tad.

He took slow sips, drinking between coughs as his eyes glued to his daughter. Patrick, amidst the burning in his throat, found comfort in the fact that his daughter still cared for him. He could see it in her eyes and he had found the evidence in her tears. Seeing her cry was the last thing he intended on doing, but it also served as a voice for the words that she couldn't say aloud.

        "It's Ok Kaylyn, I'm fine now," he assured in a hoarse tone, using his fingers to wipe the tears that flowed from her eyes.

Kaylyn choked out a laugh as relief flooded her form. She looked up at Matthew, the glee shining above the saddened expression that was once present. Matthew returned the smile as he watched the exchange of father and daughter.

When all was settled and back to normal, they all seated themselves on the sofa, the silence a bit awkward and deafening, even though hearts were in joyous chaos.

Patrick turned to Kaylyn and held her hands once more, making sure to wear a smile on his pale lips.

       "Kaylyn, we all know that life has a start and an end, but what counts most is what we do in between those two phases. My life really began when I held you in my arms for the very first time..." he trailed off as a grin cracked his face. "I fell in love with you right away, even though you were crying profusely, wanting to be in your mother's arms", he laughed, and Kaylyn smiled, thinking of the irony.

      "I did the wrong thing by letting you go and I believe a part of me got lost too. I didn't have an in between because I had already met my end at the time..." Patrick knew he was blabbering on incessantly. The pace in which his mouth was moving, was too slow for the amount of thoughts he had to let out.