Chapter 26 (Sadness...Anger)

Matthew flinched upon hearing Kaylyn's gasp caused by his earlier proclamation.

     "Since she's not too far in the pregnancy, it could be considered, but as I said before, the placenta may migrate further on in the pregnancy," he announced, clearly pitying them for the situation they were in.

    "And what if it doesn't?" Matthew asked ruefully, his mind in a chaotic battle of indecision.

    "I'm not aborting my child!" Kaylyn exclaimed and although her voice was shaky, the conviction was still evident.

Matthew turned, looking down at her eyes which pooled with tears. Her nose was red and her eyes were puffy, making her look like the most vulnerable thing he had ever seen. He wanted to hug her- Cry with her, but he hardened his jaw and said instead...

     "Kaylyn, I don't want this at all. I don't know what else to do, bu- but you may die," he said in a low tone, so low that the Doctor couldn't hear.

Kaylyn saw the sadness in his eyes and she knew that he was sad and hurting too, but..

     "The baby may die too," she croaked out.

Matthew sat beside her, holding her hand in his, as he bought it to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on the soft surface. "Yo- we can try for another baby after this," he said wanting to plant another option in her head.

She shook her head negatively as he spoke. "But I may not have another one," she spoke.

    "We can adopt then," Matthew was eager to convince her. What was he even saying? Matthew thought. He knew that his words were farfetched and stupid even, but he didnt want Kaylyn to lose hope on any available options. He had to plant some kind of hope in her head.

"No. We are not even a couple. I- I ..." she cried, trailing off as she was unsure of what else to say

Matthew rested his forehead on their entwined hands, trying to control himself and the situation. 'Don't you understand Kaylyn," his voice grew by a tad. "You may die!" he exclaimed, looking deeply into her teary eyes.

There was a small silence.

    "Then at least I'd know that I would have lived somehow," she said easing up on the bed while she used her unoccupied hand to try to wipe her face. "Matthew, I'm going to have this baby, and I don't care if I die after. I can't believe you would even think about aborting your own child," she sniffed and Matthew could see the disappointment in her eyes. She swung her feet over the bed and strolled silently behind a curtain to get dressed.

Matthew sighed heavily, looking at the Doctor who still stood there, watching the display with empathy.

.  "What must I do?" He asked in a desperate reach for answers.

     "She doesn't want to abort the child, so I guess there is nothing you can do about that. However, you can help my making her take it easy for the duration of her pregnancy. No stress, no strenuous work and she should take the medications I prescribed on a daily basis. Ensure that she eats right and takes rest. Miss Fisher has a rare complication here, but also a serious one. I hope that when next you visit me, the placenta will migrate," he completed with a smile.

Matthew listened to every bit of what the Doctor told him, making sure that he would do the right thing when they went home. He raked a hand through his hair, still not quite at ease with the events of the day.

Feeling a firm hold on his tensed shoulder, Matthew looked up to find the Doctor with a slight smile on his face. "I can see that you care for her young man and that's good. She'll need all the love she can get to go through this phase, but be aware...no sex," he smiled then strolled from the room.