Chapter 29 (Apologies)

Nothing could have prepared Kaylyn for the words which came from Matthew's mouth. She didn't know what she should have been expecting but his retort was simply not it. The words rested on her heart uncomfortably and not even the tears that threatened to spill could wash away his dreadful words.

      "Asshole! Come on Kay. Let's go pack," Faith said, gently placing her arms around Kaylyn's back in assurance. Kaylyn and Matthew were still staring at each other, and soon Kaylyn felt a tear slip from her eyes.

She sniffed, looking away, while she quickly brushed it off. Clearing her throat, she nodded, stepping past Matthew who still stood at the same spot, motionless.

As Kaylyn climbed the stairs, she had to fold her lips in order to hold back the dam that would soon burst in her eyes. Faith was rambling on about something that Kaylyn didn't quite get because her mind was distant. Of course Kaylyn had only spoken the words out of anger and frustration, but she hadn't been expecting him to reply so bitterly. She wanted to take the words back, but there was nothing she could do now. The damage was already done.

With a heavy heart, she entered her room, seeing Sapphire still drinking her soup. She turned and smiled when she saw Kaylyn, and that made her heart break a little more.

She moved towards Kaylyn, looking up at Faith. "Hi, you must be Faith," she smiled.

Faith glanced at Kaylyn wondering who the little person was. "She is; Sapphire meet Faith. Faith this is Sapphire," Kaylyn said and although her words were meant to be bright, it was the complete opposite.

Faith only smiled, as she moved towards Kaylyn's closet, immediately starting her task of packing.

       "Why are you taking out Kaylyn's stuff?" Sapphire asked in dismay, and Kaylyn stiffened, not knowing how she'd break the news to her.

       "Sapph-" she started saying, but was interrupted by Faith.

        "She's going home honey," she said, with not an ounce of consideration for the child's feelings.

Sapphire's head snapped up to Kaylyn, her mouth slightly opened with shock. "What?" she asked in a strained tone.

      "Sapph, I'm leaving honey. I-"

      "You're leaving? Why?" her voice was heavy with emotions.

      "I have to go back home," she managed a smile, gently placing her hand on her cheeks.

Sapphire drew back at her touch. "You can't leave me Kaylyn. You just can't," she blabbered shakily.

Kaylyn swallowed. "I'll visit you," she tried to lighten the situation.

A tear slipped from her eyes. "Please, don't leave," she cried.

Kaylyn sighed lightly as she knelt to the floor, wanting to properly look at Sapphire's face. She smiled, and brushed the tears from her rosy cheeks. "I'm so sorry honey-".

        "If you think I talk too much I can stop. I won't tell you to call the baby lasagne again. I promise," she clasped her hands and bought it to her chest. "I won't bother you. I'll do anything you wanna but please don't leave me Kaylyn," Sapphire cried, staring into Kaylyn's eyes while the tears fell.

Kaylyn swallowed the lump in her throat, contemplating on her decisions.

       "Kid I'm sorry, but Kaylyn has to go," Faith cut in.

Sapphire ignored Faith as she saw Matthew passing by the door. Her spirits lifted as she squealed, "Daddy," and immediately ran towards Matthew.

He stopped at the door, not looking at anyone else in the room, but his daughter.