Chapter 22 (Harsh words)

A day before the dinner, Kaylyn came home from work feeling a bit uneasy. Matthew still hadn't told her of his plan for Catherine's dinner, because he had not found the time, and well, he was a bit hesitant to ask her.

As soon as Kaylyn arrived in her room, she plopped down on the bed, wanting to rid herself of the gnawing feeling in her stomach. She groaned when a knock on her door prevented her from doing so.

Easing herself upwards, she cleared her throat. "It's open," she called out and the door suddenly opened, welcoming Matthew.

"May I have a word with you?" he asked, moving towards her.

"Yeah, take a seat," she patted the space on the bed.

Matthew faintly smiled and took a seat beside her on the soft bed. Clearing his throat, he began. "I was wondering if you could be my date for a dinner party, tomorrow," he said.

It took a while for Kaylyn to register what he was saying. She just wanted to sleep.

"Tomorrow?" she asked, shocked that he would ask in such a spur of the moment- surprised he would ask any at all. Couldn't you tell me this earlier so I could prepare myself?" she asked in bewilderment.

"Sorry it slipped my mind, he justified lamely. So, you're saying yes?" he asked brightly.

"No."

"No, to my last question or no to the party?" he asked, wanting clarification.

"I don't know yet. I kind of wanted the day for myself tomorrow, considering I wouldn't have work," she said between sighs, rubbing her forehead.

"Are you alright?" Matthew asked, concerned.

"Yeah! I'm just tired," she assured and Matthew scrutinized her, unconvinced. He still hadn't found a way to have her quit the job. The woman was tired and the baby was probably tired too, but she was so hard headed he didn't know what else to do.

"Do you need to see the doctor?" he asked, thinking that maybe he needed to stop asking, but demand and act.

"No, I'm fine!" she quickly put in.

"Kaylyn, have you done a check-up, since you found out you were pregnant?" Matthew asked, wishing to God she wouldn't confirm his fear.

She hung her head guiltily. "I haven't had the time?" she blurted in defence, staring blankly at the wall before her.

Matthew stared at her in disbelief for a while, his mouth slightly opened with disbelief.

"Are you out of your damned mind woman?" he spat angrily, his words not loud but low and steely.

Kaylyn's head snapped in his direction when the words left his mouth. "Don't you dare speak to me like that!" she warned prickly.

Matthew flew from the bed. "And what are gonna do?" he flung his hand in the air in frustration, his anger slowly consuming him. "You are treating this child like it's non-existent. You don't listen when I talk to you and you do not have this baby's best interest at heart. What kind of a mother will you be?!" he spat angrily, having no control of the words that flew from his lips. He decided that he had enough of her shenanigans. It was time he put his foot down and let her know who wore the pants in the house, but...

He immediately regretted the words that flew from his lips as soon as they spurted out. He knew that even though he was angry, he had no right to tell her such words; such hurtful words.

He watched the way her body stiffen and the way her lips were trembling with the promise of tears. But she immediately sucked in up and ground her teeth, refusing to appear weak at the sight of Matthew Mayhew.

Matthew muttered a low curse, swiping his hand across his face. "Kaylyn, I'm sorry," he exclaimed softly. "I- I didn't mean to say what I said," he sighed, knowing that she wouldn't forgive him so easily.

"You said what you had to and the damage is done," the weight of the sobs pushing against her throat, caused her to sound hoarse.

Matthew scratched the back of his neck, moving closer to Kaylyn with the intention of soothing her.

"Don't. Don't come near me," she warned and the steeliness in her tone, prevented Matthew from doing so.

"I'm sorry," he said once more, wanting to kick himself for being an asshole.

Kaylyn ignored him as she got up from the bed, moving towards the door. Matthew watched as she opened the door and stood- her intentions obvious.

"Get out. I'd like some rest now," she said in the deadliest tone Matthew had ever heard from a woman.

He stood, transfixed in the area for a while, their gazes locking in a heated battle. She did not blink even once and so Matthew knew that she was serious. He surrendered, and moved past her, pausing at the door to once again apologize, but before he could do so, the door separated them both.

Matthew sighed heavily, resting his forehead on the surface before he turned to go to his room.

Sapphire stood before him, with her arms crossed and a little scowl on her face.

"I'm disipointed in you daddy," she scolded, not even pronouncing 'disappointed' right.

Matthew sighed; another stubborn female to deal with.

"I said some hurtful things, huh?" he said, not intending for Sapphire to overhear their argument.

"Yes. And you used bad words. You also made Kaylyn cry, which is not nice!" she pouted.

"I know honey, and I told her sorry -"

"Saying sorry won't make her hurt less, daddy," she stated and Matthew stared at her in disbelief.

"Where did you learn all this?" Matthew asked with a smile.

Sapphire sighed, rolling her eyes. "Daddy, I'm five," she fired back and Matthew laughed. Sapphire though, was not laughing.

"You need to do something nice for Kaylyn and if you don't, I won't talk to you either," she warned, then stomped off to her room.

Matthew huffed out a breath before he sauntered to his room. Women!

That night he fell asleep thinking of ways to make it up to Kaylyn. He knew that she wouldn't agree to the dinner now, and quite frankly, he wasn't planning on going either.