Chapter 40 (Surprise)

Lunch was silent, but the tension was tangible. Secret gazes were shared under eyes and giggles erupted from one particular person - Sapphire.

Kaylyn, suddenly curious as to what was going on, placed her sandwich on the plate and eased back in her chair.

     "OK, what's going on?" She demanded with mirth tainting her voice.

Sapphire looked from her to Matthew and they both shrugged. "Nothing!" They both exclaimed in unison, but Kaylyn wasn't convinced.

       "I've seen you both sharing secret glances. I know something is up," Kaylyn retorted.

Sapphire did not say anything; she continued to play with her bread, whilst folding her lips to prevent a smile. Kaylyn glanced at Matthew and cocked a brow in curiosity, wanting to get some answers from him at least.

Matthew held up his hands in mock surrender. "I don't know what's going on." The look on his face was evidence to his words but Kaylyn couldn't help but notice the twinkling mischief in his eyes.

Sighing in defeat, she shoved her plate away from her. "Well, anyway... Faith and I are going shopping in a while," she informed, seeing the shock on Sapphire's face. "Do you want to come Sapph?"

Sapphire instantly looked from Kaylyn to Matthew then to Kaylyn again. "I thought you were only going to hang out with Faith," she said a bit hysterically.

      "No, we're going baby shopping also," she smiled and Sapphire's eyes widened.

She looked to Matthew for permission. "Daddy?"

Matthew cleared his throat. "Pumpkin, you promised grandma and grandpa that you would visit them today," Matthew reminded cocking his brow.

Sapphire looked genuinely confused for a moment, but quickly she muttered, "Yes, how could I forget," she said as she managed a smile.

Kaylyn tried not to show her disappointment. "Oh. Wel-" the ringing of the doorbell cut her off in mid-sentence. "That must be Faith. I'll get it!" She exclaimed excitedly as she moved from around the table and towards the door.

Sapphire turned to Matthew. "But daddy, I wanted to go shop with," she pouted.

Matthew sighed, knowing the protest was coming. "Sapph, you promised me you would help me out with this. We can all go shopping some other day," Matthew whispered. "Just think about how happy Kaylyn will be at the end of the day," he winked with a reassuring smile.

       "OK daddy," she grinned now after being convinced.

Matthew pinched her cheek. "That's my girl. Shhh-" he immediately cut in when he heard footsteps nearing in on them.

Faith and Kaylyn entered the room with a smile.

     "I'll go get my purse," Kaylyn informed Faith as she quickly strode from the room.

Faith was left prey to the two pair of predator eyes that watched her from around the table.

      "Good morning," she greeted with a tight smile.

Sapphire threw her a hard gaze and muttered a barely audible Good morning, under her breath.

Faith cleared her throat, feeling the tension and silently praying for Kaylyn to join her ASAP.

       "So," Sapphire began firmly. "Kaylyn must not stay out late because she needs her rest and if you take her out to eat, don't get her fish because it makes her feel sick," she informed sternly, her gaze settled on Faith.