Chapter 47 (Home sweet home)

At two weeks of seemingly unending tests on both Kaylyn and the baby, they were both cleared to go home. Kaylyn thought it was the longest and most unnerving time of her life but the fact that they both made it out fine, was something to be happy about.

    Matthew was ready of course to bring them home after his many visits to the hospital over the past weeks. Kaylyn was holding the baby who had strived so much. No longer was he so small and wrinkly but his face had filled out and his colour was no longer gloomy. His hair grew too, kindles of soft fire on pristine skin. Small freckles sprinkled across his little nose, and dark green eyes like Matthew's.

Kaylyn held him closely and carefully, loving the way he felt in her arms.

        "Ready to finally go home little guy?" Matthew softly asked, gently shaking his hands.

He cooed and stirred, snuggling up to Kaylyn who smiled from the sheer joy of just looking at the baby. Matthew smiled too as he kissed Kaylyn on the cheek before grabbing her things.

Who knew smiles could be permanent? He thought contentedly.

---

As soon as they arrived home, Sapphire was already in the garage, waiting eagerly for them to get out so she could grace them with her presence. Rachel had scoured her clean prior to their arrival, advising Sapphire that she had to be spotless clean to see the baby. After getting out and taking the baby from Kaylyn, she got out and Sapphire was already hugging her legs tightly.

       "Kaylyn!" She squealed excitedly. "I missed you so much."

Kaylyn smiled, able to relate Sapphire's excitement. "I missed you too," she gently used her hands to smoothen her hair before stopping to meet her eyes.

     "I'm so happy to be home," Kaylyn pulled Sapphire in her arms for a hug, breathing her crisply fresh scent.

Sapphire smiled. "Can I see the baby?" she asked eagerly.

      "Sure, just as soon as I put him to sleep," she winked and Sapphire nodded profusely.

Sapphire chatted with them all the way to the nursery, filling Kaylyn in on every bit that happened while she was in the hospital, including the fresh food her grandparents prepared and how early they made her go to bed. Of course, she made Kaylyn laugh as she always did.

Josiah was sleeping when Kaylyn placed him in the crib, all wrapped in blankets with stuffed animals at his feet.

Sapphire was in awe as she stared down at her brother for the first time.     "Wow, was I that small dad?" She asked with her eyes not leaving Josiah.

Matthew chuckled. "You were," he confirmed proudly.

      "Wow! I've never seen people so small before," she said so low it seemed like a whisper.

Kaylyn was grinning so hard and Matthew was right beside her, trying to contain his laughter.

      "And he's so pink...and," she turned to Matthew. "Dad, he's not gonna be so hard to protect after all," she smiled with crossed arms.

Seeing that they looked a bit confused, she continued. "Grandma told me I will have to protect him and care for him. It's not going to be hard. He's so small."

      "Honey, he's gonna gro–" Matthew began but Sapphire didn't give him time to finish.

      "It will be like a doll but this one poops and cries. I can manage," she shrugged.

    "Are you sure honey," Matthew teased. "It's actually harder than it looks."

Sapphire rolled her eyes and sighed frustratingly. "Plus, I'm gonna have my own little people someday daddy. I better start practicing," she exclaimed as she strolled to the door.