Chapter 28 (Bitter Faith)

Matthew smiled to himself as he looked down on the two steaming bowls of chicken soup. Wiping the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand, he placed them on a tray. Without a reason, Matthew found himself laughing- he didn't know why, because his thoughts were still chaotic and the atmosphere held no humour.

    As he climbed the stairs and came upon Kaylyn's room, he heard the faint murmuring of the conversation which took place between Sapphire and Kaylyn. This time however, Matthew didn't allow his curiosity to get the better of him, so instead of standing silently to grasp a part of the convo, Matthew steadied the tray in one hand and knocked on the door.

He listened as the conversation stilled, and within a few seconds, the door burst open with Sapphire smiling up at him.

      "I was wondering when you'd come," she said a bit frustratingly, but the smile still held residence on her face.

Matthew smiled and entered, his eyes immediately moving to Kaylyn who sat on the bed with a scrabble game board in front of her. She glanced at Matthew but her eyes did not hold his.

Clearing his throat, Matthew went to place the tray on a small table at one corner of the room.

     "Chicken soup always helps," he exclaimed, immediately cringing at his words. "I know you guys must've been hungry," he smiled quickly, ruffling Sapphire's hair.

     "Thank you," Kaylyn managed.

     "Yes, thanks Daddy," Sapphire beamed.

Matthew nodded, not knowing what else to do or say in the awkward situation. He wasn't a pro when it came to emotional affairs and so it left him prey to two pairs of scrutinizing eyes, and tension so thick, it could be touched.

     "Er, so I'll just leave. If there's anything you guys need... Just...ask," he said, then went through the door.

He sighed when he was in the hall way. Seeing Kaylyn's face had only reminded him of what transpired earlier and the threat that was still present with her and the baby. Even though she smiled, Matthew could see that it was a mask for how she really felt. Her eyes now held a permanent mist, and Matthew was only awaiting the moment when it would be too overwhelming for her to keep her tears in.

The ringing of the doorbell brought him from his thoughts and left him wondering who it might be. He didn't want any visitors now, and he was going to make it clear to whoever it might be. Kaylyn needed rest and he didn't need company.

Determinedly, Matthew strode down the stairs and moved to the door with a scowl etched on his face.

He opened the door to find a woman leaning against the wall. Her mind was distant, Matthew realized as she stared into the night, oblivious of the fact that the door was now opened.

       "Who are you and what are you doing here at this hour?" he exclaimed and the woman almost jumped from the sudden harshness in his tone.

Her head snapped towards Matthew and she gave him a thorough once-over with a frown on her face.

      "You?!" she spat, with the highest level of distaste.

Matthew's brow shot up, wondering who this strange person was who spoke to him in such a manner.

       "Who the hell are you?!" he demanded crisply.

The woman ignored his question as she pushed past him.

      "Where's Kaylyn?" she asked, wildly looking around.

Matthew's frown deepened as he grabbed her arm, jerking her towards him. The expression on her face still had not changed even though strong hands encircled a slim arm.