Chapter 6 (Hope)

Matthew was furious! He didn't know what else to do when it came to Kaylyn Fisher. He had made offers, she turned them down - wasn't a bit interested in anything he said. She had nothing and yet she felt like she had everything. That fact alone left him baffled.

      After making his last offer and being told that she'd rather terminate the pregnancy, Matthew didn't know what else to propose. He doubted the possibility of her actually terminating the child, but he knew it was better not to upset her. Running his fingers through his hair in frustration, Matthew eased back in his chair, trying to clear his head of the events of the past days.

      "You look stressed," a voice said.

Matthew held up his head and saw that it was Jason, his best friend.

      "I'm always stressed," Matthew replied dully.

      "Nope, this is not work stress," he acknowledged, raising a brow.

       "I'm fine," he sighed, shrugging off his jacket. "What brings you here?"

Jason went forward and took a seat in front of Matthew's desk. "Was off to lunch and thought I'd stop by. I fired Tina today," he said coolly.

Matthew looked at him curiously. "Your assistant Tina?"

Jason nodded. "Yup, that's the one."

    "Why? I thought she was the best you've ever had," Matthew stated finding it hard to believe, seeing that one point Tina and her excellent secretarial skills was all he bragged about.

   "She was the best, until she decided to make a move on me."

Matthew stared at him blankly before he began to chuckle. "OK so she made a move on you, and you fired her?" he asked in confirmation.

Jason nodded.

    "Man, are you gay?! Tina is absolute beauty with brains!" he exclaimed in amazement.

Jason chuckled. "Don't insult me bro, I love women. However, I am not a fan of fraternization in the work place. It's strictly business for me," he explained firmly.

Matthew nodded in understanding. "OK, so where are you going to find a replacement?"

     "Well I've already placed a notice in the papers and I'll be doing interviews tomorrow so hopefully I'll find someone impressive," he sighed.

    "Oh, well do what you've gotta do."

Jason nodded. "So, ready to tell me about your problem?"

Matthew thought about Kaylyn for a second and snorted.

     "Nah, this problem will give you a headache."

Jason smiled and began to rise from his chair. "If you say so. Well, I've gotta get going, I've got extra work on my hands."

      "Sure thing. Good luck."

      "Thanks," Jason replied before he exited the room.

Matthew sighed once more, watching his friend's retreat while he thought about Kaylyn and a different approach he could take to get around to her.

#

Kaylyn was about to take a shower when she heard a knock at her door. She sighed, because the last thing she wanted was company. She felt droopy and the only thing she wanted to do was take a shower and do some job hunting online.

Lazily dragging herself to the door, Kaylyn opened it to find Faith with two bags in her hands.

     "Oh it's you," she dully stated.

     "Well, you look like hell's cousin," Faith mocked as she stepped past Kaylyn.

       "What's up Faith?" she asked, closing the door.

       "I bought you lunch," she called, making her way into the small kitchen.

       "I'm not hungry," Kaylyn murmured under her breath.

Faith re-entered the living room with two plates in hand. "I bought you a vegetable salad and some juice. I got myself a nice juicy burger with some crispy fries and a milkshake," she grinned in a conniving manner.

    "Why couldn't I have what you're having?" Kaylyn asked.

      "Cause you've gotta eat healthy for the baby," she said, sticking out a tongue at Kaylyn.

Kaylyn rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

Faith laughed and took a seat on the sofa, handing Kaylyn her food. "So, speaking of the baby, when are you going to tell your parents?" she asked, biting into her burger.

Kaylyn sighed. "Never."

      "Well, you'll have to tell them soon," Faith said with food packed mouth.

        "I don't have to tell them anything," Kaylyn quipped.

       "They'll help if you do," Faith said.

       "I don't think so and I've never depended on them for anything. I won't start now," she bit out tersely.

       "I think now's the time you should let them in. They're rich motherfuckers," Faith said, cocking a brow.

      "Can you please drop it? I don't want to spoil my mood."

      "OK fine," Faith huffed in defeat.

There was a small silence. No one spoke, and all that could be heard was Faith's chewing.

     "Oh!" her voice rang out. She placed the food on a small table and reached for her handbag.

      "What is it?" Kaylyn asked in alarm.

Faith was silent as she rummaged through her bag, pulling out a newspaper. She flipped the pages, still not answering Kaylyn. A grin broke across her face as she came upon what she was looking for. Shoving the article towards Kaylyn, she used her index finger to mark the spot she wanted Kaylyn to see.

       "I saw this, this morning and thought it'd be perfect for you," she grinned.

Kaylyn read its contents. Jason Felix, CEO of Felix Enterprises was searching for an assistant, who had a degree in business and was fluent in English and any other foreign language...

Kaylyn stared at Faith wide-eyed.      "You're right, this is perfect for me," she smiled.

Faith nodded. "I know, I know. Walk-in Interviews are tomorrow at eight, so get the necessaries ready, and try to get a good sleep tonight."

Kaylyn flung her arms around Faith. "You're the best!" she sniffed, finding it hard to hold back the tears.

Faith patted her back and smiled. "I know. Well with this job, you can find yourself a new apartment and get things started for the baby. It pays enough."

     "Thanks Fay," Kaylyn smiled.

      "Don't mention it," she smiled.

#

That night after Faith left, Kaylyn searched for her best suit and got all the necessary documents ready. She then took a long warm bath before she plopped down onto the bed, thinking of the possibilities that would arise if she was to in fact get the job. In one day it seemed as if her world was going to crumple and in another, things were starting to look up. Kaylyn wasn't sure, but she pondered on the idea of this being the beginning of something new.

There was some hope after all.

____________________________________

Thanks for taking the time to read. I hope it was worth it. :)
Vote and tell me what you think!!!
Laters baby
Xoxo
Juju