Chapter 41 (Lost hope)

Kaylyn sighed as she stared at herself in the mirror for the third time since getting ready. She viewed her body at different angles, wanting to see the changes her body had made. Resting her hand on the mound, she smiled, thinking that it was getter bigger, that it was alive and possibly healthy.

       Kaylyn paused, with her hand still planted on her stomach, suddenly feeling a feeling of dread consume her. A thousand 'what ifs' floated around in her head- none positive.

As soon as the tears watered her eyes, Matthew entered the room. "Hey," he softly said as he moved towards her with his hands tucked in his pockets.

Kaylyn turned quickly to him, his presence taking her by surprise. "Hi," she quickly replied, managing a smile.

        "You OK?"

Kaylyn nodded. "Yeah, are you ready to go?" She cleared her throat.

       "Just about," he confirmed as he moved behind her. "Kaylyn, everything will be fine, you know," he reassured softly.

         "Yeah. I want to believe that," she said before her voice turned to a whisper. "I want to believe that so much."

Placing his hands on her shoulder from behind, Matthew gently massaged to ease the tension. "You should believe it."

Kaylyn slowly turned to him, their faces mere inches apart. "I'm just scared," she confessed softly.

Using his thumb to wipe away the tear that spilled from her eyes; Matthew took his time to caress the softness of her cheeks, after which pulling her into his arms.

       "We'll be fine," he whispered.

#

Kaylyn laid on the bed as she waited for the doctor to examine her. Matthew was at her side- her reassurance that everything would be OK, or at least he created the illusion that everything would be.

The doctor suddenly entered with a clipboard in hand and a smile on his face. "Mr and Mrs Mayhew, it's nice to see you again," he greeted.

     "We er-" they both began to correct.

He chuckled. "It's OK, I know," he winked as he moved closer to Kaylyn.

Kaylyn and Matthew both glanced at each other, managing an awkward smile. Doctor Evans reached for his gloves and placed it on his hands with the smile still on his face.

       "I hope you are still taking the medication I prescribed," he announced, his gaze warning.

      "Yes, I have been," Kaylyn assured.

      "Good, and has there been any spotting?" He asked as he reached for his equipment needed to execute the examination.

Kaylyn cleared her throat, ignoring Matthew's eyes which had settled on her. "A bit...at times," she informed.

Before Matthew could utter a word, Dr Evans spoke. "Pink...red?"

        "Er...pink."

       "What spotting?" Matthew finally blurted.

      "It's quite normal during pregnancy. Had it been red or heavy, it would have been serious," he provided firmly.

      "Why didn't you tell me about this?" Matthew asked in disbelief.

      "I didn't want to worry you and plus I did my research and found that it was OK."

Matthew scoffed, finding it hard to believe that Kaylyn hadn't told him about it, but he remained quiet, wanting to seem unaffected by the information he had received.