Chapter 38 (Karma...Catherine)

'Karma is a bitch'
                      — everyone.

***

A few weeks later, Matthew received a call to an urgent meeting in his office. Sapphire was away at school and Kaylyn was having lunch with her dad, so it gave Matthew a little time to attend to his business.

As soon as the elevator door opened to his floor, his PA met him at the door.

Matthew ground his teeth. "Who is in my office and why couldn't you tell me who it was over the phone?" he fumed as he strode past the woman.

She walked briskly to catch up to him. "I– they asked me not to say anything. They said you wouldn't want to see them if you knew beforehand," she defended shakily.

Matthew stopped in his tracks suddenly, causing the girl to bump into his back. "And who the hell do you work for Elaine? Me or whoever the fuck is in there?" he asked angrily.

Elaine withered back, her face flaming red with embarrassment. "Sorry sir," she croaked out fearfully.

Matthew sighed heavily and raked a hand through his hair. "Its fine," he said, managing a stiff smile that made Elaine's eyes go wide.

He strode in the direction of his office, exuding dominance with every stride. He paused at his door, taking in a deep breath before he entered.

He had thought about a lot of persons who could have been in his office, but the two faces that presented themselves were not in his top ten.

The Belle's stood in the centre of the room, turning suddenly when they heard the door open. Matthew didn't exactly know if he should be feeling anger towards the two, or shock. He knew he shouldn't be feeling hatred towards them, but they created an offspring he hated.

Clearing his throat, and moving behind his desk, he took a seat and gestured for them to do the same.

       "What brings you here?" he asked firmly, watching the rigid expression on Constantine's face. Elizabeth Belle looked dishevelled in Matthew's eyes. Her eyes looked red and puffy and she was fidgeting with a handkerchief in her lap. Something was definitely up.

     "Matthew, we know what our daughter did and we are extremely sorry. We are very sorry for the distress she put you and your family through," Constantine began. "We know that your engagement was just one to strengthen business relationships; you didn't love each other," he acknowledged faintly.

Matthew moistened his lips with the tip of his tongue. "Where is this conversation going?" he asked, not liking the topic of Catherine and his past mistakes.

       "We need your help," Elizabeth sniffed, her lips trembling.

Matthew scoffed and eased back in his chair, finding amusement in the words that came from the woman's lips.

       "With?" Matthew asked, cocking a curious brow.

       "Our daughter. Catherine," she muttered timidly.

Matthew wanted to laugh, but he refrained himself from doing so.

       "Please Matthew, I know that it may sound ridiculous considering what she has done to you but we wouldn't be asking if we didn't really need your help," Constantine inserted pleadingly.

Matthew knew in himself that he wouldn't dare think of helping the woman. Heck, he was only preparing himself for ruining her for what she did to Kaylyn.

      "What's the problem?" he asked.

The couple looked at each other, before Elizabeth hung her head. Constantine cleared his throat.