Chapter 42 (Movies and poppity corn)

Being in bed every single day was driving Kaylyn crazy. She wanted to move around, go out. Do something. But of course she knew that it was for her own good and with an insistent Sapphire and Matthew, she knew she was trapped anyway.

      With only two months remaining, Kaylyn dreaded and anticipated the day at the same time. Over the past weeks, she had blocked her thoughts from thinking about anything negative. She now strongly believed that they would both make it out alright. She had the support to back it up.

       Kaylyn reached for the photo album on the night stand, royal blue with pink daisies framing the edges. She smiled as she opened it, the first picture welcoming her. It was a sonogram of the baby which the doctor had given her weeks ago. Kaylyn smiled contentedly, using her fingers to slowly trail across the image.

       "We'll be meeting each other soon," she whispered, then placed a kiss on the photo, her free hand resting on her stomach.

        "Hey, you OK?" A voice asked from the doorway, Kaylyn looked up to find Matthew with a smile on his face.

Kaylyn nodded. "Yeah, I was just looking at the sonogram...again," she grinned.

Matthew chuckled as he moved towards her. "You'll see a more beautiful version in just two months time," he wiggled his brows as he sat beside her.

        "Yes, I will."

        "Your dad is coming up shortly," he announced, seeing the way Kaylyn suddenly perked up. "Sapphire is showing him some things we've brought."

Kaylyn gaped at him. "Matthew, for the last time..." She expelled breathlessly. "The baby doesn't need anything else. We already have things that can't even fit into the nursery," she pointed out, looking up at him in disbelief.

        "We'll find space," he gave a cheeky smile. "I have the money to spoil you guys, so let me," he placed a kiss on her forehead and stood.

Kaylyn smiled, watching him retreat from the room. He paused at the door. "Sapphire and I are going to prepare lunch. Any suggestions?"

      "Nah, I'm good with anything," she assured, smiling when Matthew winked before leaving.

Kaylyn smiled contentedly as she rested her head against the soft cushions, thinking of how caring Matthew had become in the past months. At one point she didn't think it was possible, but she was proven wrong. He was everything she could ever wish for in a man- a father to her child.

       "Well well, Miss Kaylyn Fisher, you may want to wipe that look off your face, otherwise someone will think you're in love," Patrick teased as he entered the room with a smile.

Kaylyn chuckled, ignoring the tease. "Hey dad!" she announced brightly.

Patrick smiled as he moved towards her and sat on the edge of the bed. "How are you doing today?"

     "Great!" Kaylyn announced.

Patrick was happy with the news. "I can see that," he acknowledged softly.

Kaylyn slightly hung her head to conceal the blush that tainted her cheeks. "I'm happy, dad," she admitted coolly.

Patrick nodded knowledgeably. "You can't imagine how happy I am to hear that, but I could see it on your face all along," he smiled. "You deserve to be happy, sweetheart."

Kaylyn smiled her thanks, floating in the small silence that followed. "How are you dad?"

Patrick heaved a sigh. "I'm alive," he joked, then chuckled. "I'm hanging in there sweetheart he said as he reached for Kaylyn's hand. "I'm hanging in there," he repeated with a slight squeeze.

Kaylyn smiled. "You really want to see your grand baby, don't you?" She asked huskily.

         "As much as I wanted to see you when I found out your mom was pregnant," he retorted amusingly.

Another small silence fell between them.

       "I'm inviting you guys to dinner on the weekend. You, Matthew, Sapphire and Faith," he informed. "I want us to celebrate life and happiness."

Kaylyn didn't like the tone in his voice. His words were warming but somehow they weren't reassuring. He spoke about life like it was about to be taken from him any minute. Was it? She wasn't sure, because he concealed what he was really feeling beneath his smile.

She swallowed. "Dad, are you sure you're OK?" She asked him, meeting his gaze.

      "Of course honey."

      "Daddy you can tell me what's going on. Don't keep things from me, just because you don't want to see me sad," she implored.

      "Kaylyn, I'm fine. Trust me," he insisted with another gentle squeeze.

She peered at him for some passing seconds in deep scrutiny, wanting to confirm that he was indeed OK. He didn't look bad, she had to admit. His colour seemed bright and healthy. She hoped it wasn't her paranoia.

She then grinned. "OK, dinner sounds awesome. It might do me some good being out of the house for a while."

Patrick managed a smile as he glanced upon his beaming daughter. He was glad to see her finally happy; he had taken that away years ago, but luckily she found Matthew and Sapphire who would love her unconditionally... Even when he was gone.

#

       "OK, OK. You choose!" Kaylyn exclaimed in defeat a few hours later as she argued with Sapphire about what movies to watch.

      "Yes!" Sapphire rejoiced triumphantly. "Frozen!"

Kaylyn laughed. "We've already watched that three times since I've been here," she said in disbelief, momentarily glancing at Matthew, who just sat smiling.

       "But it makes us laugh," she defended.

Kaylyn smiled. "OK fine. Frozen it is!" She exclaimed brightly before bringing her voice down to a murmur. "For the fourth time."

Sapphire grinned and rubbed her hand together in anticipation, but she then momentarily paused, glancing at Matthew. "Daddy is the poppity corn ready?" she asked, twisting her mouth.

Matthew suddenly jolted from the armrest of the sofa and moved towards the kitchen. "Coming right up!" he called.

Sapphire shook her head and heaved a sigh. "He's forgetting things already?" she hissed flatly.

Kaylyn laughed aloud and Sapphire joined in, snuggling up to Kaylyn as the movie began. Kaylyn placed her arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer.

Matthew later joined with a bowl of popcorn and a bottle of juice.

           "OK people, move over!" He exclaimed, hearing Sapphire's giggle. They scooted over, allowing Matthew space on the sofa. Matthew placed the food on the coffee table and snuggled beneath the blanket- beside Kaylyn.

        "I bet I can recite each line without making a mistake," Matthew whispered in kaylyn's ear. She giggled, knowing she could probably do the same. But for Sapphire's sake, they watched and enjoyed...

For the fourth time.

___________________________________

A/N: Double update!!! *grin*
Prepare yourselves for the next chapter guys!!! ;)