Chapter 35 (Someone's at the door)

Matthew was shocked to find himself speechless to a question he knew he should have answered moments ago. He thought of it, thought of it being a possibility and impossibility, but then he found himself thinking of the possibilities a lot more.

     Jason stood watching the reaction on his friend's face, and knew by Matthew's silence that the answer he was looking for was loud and clear. He took a deep breath, deciding that he no longer wanted to hear his words.

       "I-" Matthew began before he was cut off.

       "You know what man, don't even answer that," he quickly said before the words came from Matthew's mouth.

Matthew frowned at the sudden change but he then cleared his throat, thinking that silence was better off, after all, he wasn't quite sure what he would say.

      "So what's for dinner?" Jason asked, deciding on a change in topic.

Matthew sighed. "Jase, I wanted you here for a particular reason today."

      "What's that?" Jason asked curiously, moving towards the counter.

      "I've got to tell you the reason Kaylyn can no longer work for you," he exclaimed, watching Jason's brow rise questioningly.

#

Patrick sat on the sofa tapping his phone against his chin as he contemplated on whether or not he should give his wife a call. Amidst everything that happened, he still considered his wife family and although the walls of their love were thinning, it wasn't completely gone.

He got up and poured himself a glass of water from the pitcher on the bed side table. Emptying the contents, he smiled, thinking of how much better he felt now that he had made amends with his daughter. He still had a lot to make up for, but he thought that he was close to home. He wanted peace, he wanted forgiveness and he wanted love and even though Lilith seemed like a lost cause in the situation, he was willing to give it a try. He wanted his family again, even with the little time he had left.

Folding his lips, Patrick quickly dialled his wife's number. He was anxious, he felt nervous because he knew that what he was about to ask, was big.

      "What do you want?" she answered at the first ring, sounding the way she always sounded; Miserable.

Patrick sighed, taking a seat on the bed. "Lilith, we need to talk."

She snorted. "You left to visit her even though I specifically told you that you shouldn't," she exclaimed, then choked out a laugh. "You know Patrick it is too late to be feeling like a rebel at your age."

       "Lilith, I did not call to have an argument for Christ's sake," Patrick sighed heavily, rubbing his temple.

      "Then what did you call here for, dear old husband?" she hissed bitterly.

        "I want to talk to you," Patrick announced.

        "And what are we doing now, playing catch?"

       "I mean in person. Please, could you take a flight down so we could sort things out?" he asked, then cleared his throat.

She laughed. "I hope you're hearing how ridiculous you are sounding right now," she quipped.

Patrick swallowed, briefly closing his eyes. "It's important Lilith."

        "So is the business I have running here. Why don't you come home and we'll talk then?" she suggested crisply.

       "I'm finally trying to make things right with my daughter. Where is your heart Lilith?" It was almost a whisper, close to a plea.

She snorted. "Do you even know what you're doing Patrick. You are ruining our marriage...our family!" she spat.