Chapter 7 (So we meet again)

Excitement was what Kaylyn thought had woken her up the following morning. She was the one who rose before her alarm clock. She took a quick shower although nausea was quietly seeping its way through her body. Earlier she had picked out her best suit - a royal blue pencil skirt and a cream, silk, long sleeved top.

      After taking her shower, she danced into her skirt, having to place much effort in the task. She squirmed when she realized she had gotten a bit fat, and there was a slight bulge in her stomach. Kaylyn wanted to cry at the idea of gaining weight so soon, unable to fathom what she would look like in the following months.

Deciding that she wasn't going to change, she jiggled her way into the skirt and then the blouse which didn't require much effort. Kaylyn stared at herself in the mirror and muttered a low curse. The suit was tight, although not cripplingly tight, but it hugged her hips too much and that wasn't what she was aiming for.

       Sighing, she grabbed her heels, hopping into the four inch height. She then grabbed her folder with her documents and her bag. Kaylyn moved towards the kitchen and poured herself a glass of fruit juice and grabbed a nutri-bar before she exited her flat.

      As she walked along the small corridor, she muttered a low curse when she felt her phone shrilling in her bag. She stopped and frustratingly rummaged through, pulling it out from the very bottom of the bag.

     "Hello," she answered, exasperatingly.

      "Oh, you're awake, good. Are you on your way? It's 7 and you should be there by 8," Faith ranted.

      "Yes, I'm just leaving my apartment," she reassured dully.

      "Good, got all your stuff?"

Kaylyn smiled. "Yes mom," she mocked.

Faith giggled. "OK, good luck."

     "Thanks for everything Fay."

      "Thats what friends are for, right?" she exclaimed pointedly.

Kaylyn grinned. "Right, I'll call you later and tell you how everything goes."

      "Sure thing, bye," she exclaimed before the line went dead.

#

    "Taxi!" Kaylyn yelled, using her hand to fan down a taxi that flew past without a glance. She huffed and glanced at her watch.

7:25am.

She had been standing there for nearly half an hour and she hadn't gotten any taxi and the irony of it all was, on days when she wasn't in such a rush, taxis were always at her feet and now that she was, she couldn't get any.

Talk about bad luck!

She had already started to feel uneasy, standing for so long. Closing her eyes, she whispered a small prayer, asking God to work in her favour and fortunately for her, it didn't go unanswered. Within the next five minutes, a yellow cab parked at her feet.

Whispering a small thank you she slid in, a sigh of relief escaping her lips as her butt made contact with the softness of the car seats.

      "Where to ma'am?" the driver turned and asked.

     "Felix Enterprises," she provided.

The driver nodded and drove off.

#

     "Daddy can you drop me off to school today please? I don't want Liz to drop me," Sapphire exclaimed, referring to the nanny.

Matthew sighed, managing a smile. He had to be at work soon so there was no way he could grant his daughter's wish.

      "Honey, daddy has to work. I'll try to another time," he said softly.

Sapphire pouted. "I just want you to come so my friends can see you," she said hanging her head sadly.

Matthew sighed. "Some other time honey, I promise."

Sapphire angrily slapped her cup from the table. "You always say that but you never come," she yelled, her small voice cracking with emotions.

Getting up, she dashed from around the table in the direction of her room.

      "Sapphire!" Matthew called, muttering a low curse under his breath.

He was about to go after her when Catherine marched through the front door.

     "Good morning darling," she cooed.

      "I'm going to check Sapphire. I'll be out in a minute," he told her, stepping past her.

        "You know, as soon as we're married she'll go off to boarding school," she called.

Matthew only snorted.

He paused at the door as he glared at his daughter's small form, huddled on the bed, her body trembling with sobs. He suddenly felt guilty, knowing that he was the cause of her tears - Tears that always broke his heart.

    "Sapph," he softly said.

She didn't answer; the sound of her sobs increasing. Matthew slowly walked by the bed and sat on the edge, laying a comforting hand across Sapphire's small back.

       "I'm sorry honey," he consoled.

       "I want a mommy," she cried.

The breath hitched in Matthew's throat at her words. Sapphire had never had the privilege of calling someone her mother because her own, Marsha, died after giving birth to Sapphire. He swallowed the lump in his throat and gently massaged Sapphire's back.

      "Catherine will become your mommy soon," he said, regretting the words as soon as they left his lips.

      "I-I don't want her to be my mommy. I don't like her," she sniffed.

    "Sapph-"

      "I wish I had a different family," she murmured softly, her words like a dagger to Matthew's heart.

#

After being pointed in the direction of the interview room, Kaylyn walked quickly but carefully to the area. It was two minutes to eight. She came to an area with a few persons sitting outside the door. She glanced at the door and realized it had the number the receptionist had told her.

She took a seat in one of the empty chairs that was there while she noticed the others present. No one was familiar to her; they were all dressed in their best, their heads held high.

She sat there with nothing to do, until she began to fidget with her fingers, realising how seconds seemed like eternity. She sighed when suddenly a tall man stepped through the door. Kaylyn's forehead wrinkled; trying to place the man's face with the place she'd seen him. He looked so familiar!

       "Good morning," he announced. "My name is Jason Felix," he said as he moved to a woman beside him. "These are the only persons I'll be taking today, if anyone comes, schedule another date," he murmured to the woman.

Kaylyn knew it was impolite to stare - her mother had very strictly pointed out that fact as a child- but Kaylyn was finding it hard not to. She had seen him somewhere but couldn't quite place her finger on it. Seconds later, her eyes suddenly widened when realization dawned. He was the elevator man from when she had gone to visit Matthew Mayhew.

Kaylyn felt a churning in the pit of her stomach as nervousness made its way through her body. She wanted to run!

She watched as the man's eyes slowly assessed everyone before his gaze landed on her. His brows shot up, clearly shocked, as a slow smile played across his pale pink lips.

___________________________________

Thanks for reading guys!!!!
Vote if you thought the chapter was good. Follow if you'd like to see what I'm up to ;)
Laters baby!!
Xoxo
Juju