Ch-15. Ella

Guess what? Winter's Dance has made it up to top 50, with a rank of 25 in fantasy. Yay! To celebrate that here is your update. Be warned, it has not been edited or reread or anything. I am just posting to celebrate it. So yeah, I will put up the revised version soon, just the way I have been doing from chapter one! Also, I have made massive changes in the first chapter. So check it out. And I swear that this is the last time I am changing the content. Enjoy.

Free

*********

*********

Never in her life did she think she would see the night sky again in her life. Was it winter already? The seasons were changing fast. The soft breeze was cold, and if she were to be here for another minute, she would freeze. Ella blew her breath into her fists to keep her palm warm. Being grown under the care of the blazing sun, her skin was not accustomed to the chillness winter nights brought her.

The security level was down. She felt it rather than saw it. When the king used to stay here, the number of guards was so much that she thought she would die from asphyxiation. But when the king had gone out, perhaps to some other place, everyone let the castle rot. Added to the fact that a lake surrounded it, the inner walls were crumbling and mosses started to show their domination in some parts of the castle. Most of all, it reeked of dead fish. She gagged at the thought of it.

She heard the sound of boots clashing over the wet floor. When the sound neared her, she pressed her back against the wall and tried to blend with the shadows. She held her breath and pulled her nonexistent stomach in, as though her stomach would give her away. The guard passed her, not once sparing her one glance - not that she wanted him to spot her. She then compared the days when King Taimore resided her. If it was a month ago, five guards would have passed her.

She stood there not waiting for the perfect time to escape but waiting for her friend to bring a message from Elmar as he had promised her. She had not seen her friend in two years. His face; where she saw a brother she might have had. She bit her lips. Her heart ached too much.

The days before seeing Elmar was so better. She had not felt anything. Her eyes never cried, her voice never quivered, her hands never clenched into fists, her spine never shivered. Above all, her heart never squeezed and trashed inside her ribcage and her mind never brought her the memories she had with her friends. Elmar woke those emotions up. Left her bleeding with hope, when there was none. Left her to shatter so that he could fix her up.

Lost in her thoughts she did not notice the person standing next to her. The person had come with the wind and stood next to her, blending with the shadows as she had. Ella stiffened when she heard the breath of the person next to her. That person's breath was calm and composed, as though there was no trouble in the world. Ella did not turn her face to see who it was. She held her breath and tried to cover away. She would have screamed if the shock had not stolen her voice.