Ch-48. Trystan

Hey there! I had a free time, so here! Not to mention, this is comparatively a short chapter. And after a long time, Trystan and Aeron are talking alone :)

Leave your thoughts on your way out!

Long, Long ago...

 "I have never seen this village this... this noisy," Aeron stated, sitting next to him on the staircase of the temple. Thrushes were hopping and pecking on the wheat grains someone had thrown earlier.

"How did you expect it to be?" he asked, eating a cherry. "Silent and calm?"

"It was like that when I came out," he protested, stealing a cherry from his hand. Trystan gave his friend a deadpan look. He had only five cherries in his hand.

But his friend's words drowned him in guilt again. He was not there when Aeron had woken up. He considered finding her to be more important than this. If anything had happened to him, he would have never forgiven himself.

The sky was leering as always. When people grimaced seeing its bleak, ominous colour, he relished it. After all, he could enjoy it only till the end of winter.

Aeron no longer wore two layers of furs on a cold morning. His fire kept the chillness away. Trystan smiled; if his friend was becoming powerful, who was he to stop?

"Why are you smiling like a lunatic?" Aeron asked, eating the last cherry.

The smile slipped off his face as a scowl crept in. "Apparently thinking about you, makes me smile."

"Am I that precious to you, Rys?" Aeron asked, with his face lighting up as a child.

He rolled his eyes. To people who scurried on and off the streets they appeared to be two useless people whiling away their time. But Chavva had chased them out of the house to clean it. The end of winter was making its presence known and this called for a celebration in Acracia.

"Yes," he sighed. "Your existence makes me smile, Aeron."

"I am glad," he said, clearly pleased with himself.

He then looked left then right. When he was sure no one was near, Aeron called him close. "Shall I tell you a secret?"

"Will it cost your life?" he asked immediately. As much as he was curious about Aeron's transition, he knew when to keep his silence. Certain things which may appear trivial may possess the threat to silence someone completely.

"It could," he shrugged. "But you need to know, Trystan."

The seriousness in Aeron's eyes killed something in him. Seeing the playfulness and carefree attitude in those warm brown eyes he hated the maturity in the wine red ones. He had failed somewhere. It was a primal instinct in him to protect his friend from the complexity and the cruelty of Immortality, but he had not done it. He failed. Miserably.