Ch-26. Payne

Oh my god! 100 followers! Do you have any idea how it brightened my day? Not to mention 'Winter's Dance's rank. You guys rock! Hence the early update. Enjoy :)

Changes

*********

*********

The dusk sun showered the world with her golden warmth. Even in winter, her weakness, she wanted to give the life a hope. She was parted from her love eternally, yet she shone with a radiance he could not comprehend. She lit the world in bronze and gold.

She continued to smile, when everything told her, forced her not to. How could she carry on with her duty as if nothing happened? The more he pondered on, the more curious he became.

The Acracian birds had fled their country, fearing the cold. Either Icathus, Yerinah or Katanagia was their final destination.

Adrysea's grave sparkled under the setting sun, but the clouds denied the marble's glimmer by shadowing the yellow disk. The fragrance of the earth wafted to his nose, a scent that soothed and calmed his restless soul. The sky was painted in fifty shades of orange and pink.

"General Warddis," Colonel Autry called, standing at his study's door. "Commander Rysen said he is ready to meet you. Can I send him in?"

Turning, he could not see the room clearly. Seeing the brightness for so long, he gave some time for his eyes to adjust to the dimness of his room. The outline of Colonel Autry was fidgeting. When his sight adjusted, he raised an eyebrow.

"Lady Tioren wishes to be here." She bit her lip.

He nodded to himself. Why did Mika want to be here? Perhaps she and Commander Rysen knew each other. "Sure. Let her come."

Stiffly nodding, Colonel Autry strode out.

Sighing, Payne sat on his chair and leant on it closing his eyes and resting his hands on the armrest. The cushion was soft, yet he felt like he was sitting on a bed of coal. His inner turmoil was getting the best of him, despite him trying to control it.

"General Payne Warddis." Commander Rysen addressed. "May I come in?"

"Yes, Commander." His blue ash eyes gravitated towards the woman standing next to the Yerinah's Commander.

Without announcing anything, she came inside and sat on the chaise longue opposite to the window. Payne looked at her action. He found it highly amusing.

"What?" she drawled. "Do you want me to bow to you and pay you your respects?"

"I would actually like that," Payne said. "But I know you would not do that. So what is the point in asking?"

"Glad that you know so much about me in my short stay here." Mika's brown eyes glowed by the dying rays of the sun.

"What are you waiting for, Commander?" Payne said. "Do come in. If you don't mind, please shut the door."