Ch-46. Payne

Update after so long. I fee miserable. The book is coming to an end and my school had just started and exams are coming up. I need to prioritise that one, now. That means the erratic updates will be more spontaneous (Yay). I am so sorry to do this, this was the only other option other than putting it on hold. Hope you can understand! 

Split up

*************

*************

"We need to hurry," Commander Rysen said. "Levka and Fadeyka are down."

His horse neighed and tried to throw the Commander of its back. Payne agreed with the horse. They were riding with little stop and rest to help Yerinah. What more did that Commander want?

"We are not Immortals." Payne bit back his growl. "This is the fastest we can travel."

Behind them, Icathus' army was marching tirelessly sometimes humming a war song and sometimes as silent as the death. Being the General to his country, Payne had taken only the part of the army without which Icathus could survive. Even if he wanted to help a neighbouring friend, his duty to his country came first.

"How long?" Commander Rysen asked again. "How long before we get to Adelphine?"

The boy who was riding with them on the front looked at him. Payne nodded. Only if this answer could keep the Commander quiet.

"We are in Mytia," the young colonel answered. "Half day's ride, we will be in Yerinah. Then at least a week's ride will take us to the exact place where you said."

"A week!" he exclaimed, frightening his horse once again.

Misae looked at him with fear in his eyes. The boy was here because his father had requested.

Payne shook his head. "Commander Rysen, we have travelled a journey of two weeks in a week. Not mention we have an army behind us. I understand your dire state, but we cannot push them further."

He was about to open his mouth but he turned to see the weakened condition of the army.

"What use if we reach there in time if our army was weak?" Payne asked, hoping to put some sense into the Commander's head.

Commander Rysen lowered his head. "You are right, general. They need rest."

After that, neither the Commander nor he spoke. He relished the calmness the silence brought.

As the light faded, he raised his hand. "Halt!"

As predicted by Misae, they were in Yerinah, with the Dadelen forest stretching before them. The river that marked the boundary flowed fast and strong as a war horse.

Payne got off his horse and stretched his leg. His back muscles were sore and his eyes would close anytime. But he could not afford to rest, especially that they were in Yerinah.