Chapter 34

Guys, you should listen to the song up there the first time I heard it, I was like, this almost perfectly describes Calypso. If it doesn't load, it's called What Hurts The Most by Cascada, originally Rascal Flatts.

Leo
The last time I saw Calypso was on a dark, overcast day with silver clouds threatening to empty their contents all over the city, drops running down the metallic skyscrapers, big black umbrellas just waiting to be used.

I was headed to the park for our annual weekend meeting, we were almost done with this flowerbed and said that we'd finish it today. Even in the pouring rain. Dedication. I know right? And not just to the flowers.

I walked, past couples running with picnic baskets, elderly couples haggling indoors, pet owners, and families with crying babies. Cowards. We were going to plant these flowers and do it good. The wind picked up a bit, and I wished for a jacket.

I saw her.

She was sitting on a bench, her face down, huddled into a raincoat.

That was the first sign that something was wrong.

"Sunshine!" I called.

She looked up, and I saw that she was trying to hold back tears. That dampened my mood a bit.

I ran up and sat beside her.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"I've been better." she sniffled.

"What's wrong?"

Her tears spilled this time, surrounding her usually bright beautiful almond eyes.

"I-I can't really say."

"Come on, you can tell me."

"No. Leo, I can't. You'd be better off just leaving me and never seeing me again."

My heart froze.

"That's stupid, tell me."

She shook her head, wiping her tears.

The clouds began to send down a light drizzle.

"Calypso." I said more firmly. I didn't want to lose another person.

She took a deep breath.

"My father is back."

She had never told me anything about family, so I looked at her in surprise.

"Your father?"

"A criminal. A murderer."

That explained it, why she never told me.

"Why should I stay away though? I'm not scared."

"No! It's not that!" she exclaimed suddenly. "I should have never talked to you in the first place!"

"Why?" I said, taken aback.

"My-my father told me not to hang around anyone from Goode High, especially after what happened."

"It has something to do with my school?"

"Look, let me tell you a story. I once had a sister. Her name was Zoe Nightshade. She fell in love with someone from Goode. He was a scumbag, to put it frankly. He had her steal money from my father, we are quite rich, and got her thrown out of her mother's house. She had to live with me and him, and he was horrible to her. He didn't know that her boyfriend was from Goode yet though. You see, my father is a huge sponsor for Titan High. And when he found out... he killed her. He's a psycho. He got thrown in jail, but banned me from talking to anyone from Goode, or even has gone to Goode before... and now, he's back."

I was speechless.

"I know this is such a stupid thing to say, but I'm sorry."

"No, it's not." she hugged me.

Then she backed away.

"I- can't. If he finds out... there's no saying what he would do to me, and probably to you. And besides..."

At that moment, the rain decided to come pouring down. Great.

"Besides what?"

"They always leave." she whispered.

"What do you mean?" I said angrily.

"They always leave!" she turned and looked into my eyes, an angry fire burning in them. The rain was soaking her, blending in with her tears.

"I won't!"

"Yes you will! They always do! Odysseus, Francis, Percy..."

I didn't know the first two, but the last one was familiar.

"Percy Jackson?"

"Don't say his name! He said he didn't have time for a relationship... family issues. It's not his fault... but..."

"I won't leave you!" I said fiercely.

"You will! I'll just be the girl in the park that you burnt her flowers and talked to one summer. And you shouldn't... besides that."

"Calypso, I love you!" I yelled into her face.

She blinked in surprise, raindrops falling off her eyelashes. I couldn't believe that I yelled that.

"Leo..." she said. Then she closed her eyes and leaned in.

She put her lips on mine.

It was the most bittersweet kiss I'd ever had.

We stayed together for only a couple of seconds, but then broke apart. Her expression was so sad, a face that I'd never forget.

"Leo. I have to go. You can't... follow me. We can't see each other ever again."

"Sunshine..."

She shook her head, and turned away. Then she stood up, and walked away. I watched her, and I let her. I was stupid.

"Calypso, I promise that I'll find you one day. I swear it on the River Styx."

The sky rumbled, as if to seal the promise.

And then... I just sat there, soaked to the bone, on a park bench in the pouring rain, longing for a love that I let slip away, but was determined to get back.

AN: That was probably the saddest chapter I've ever written :( Caleo... You will be reunited.

Yours in demigodishness, and all that. Peace out.