Carl Grimes: R.I.P to my Youth

You stared blankly at the plain wall of the warehouse in front of you, the carnage of the past few minutes around you. Walkers were lying on the ground a single stab wound to the head, there were about ten of them sprawled out around you. It was quiet, nothing made a sound maybe because there wasn't anything left to make a noise, not even the wind whistled through the old bullet holes in the wall. There was just nothing, just no one left in the entire world but you as though someone upstairs was playing a sick joke or maybe they liked to watch you suffer. Each day you felt your humanity slipping out of reach and the darkness taking over you blocking out the light.

When the world went to shit you only killed walkers when you needed to, in your eyes back then you were giving mercy to the person. You believed that in taking down the monster that was walking around in its flesh you were somehow, letting the person that it used to be go to rest. But that was then, now you go looking for trouble. Maybe you go looking for trouble because you like to kill things or maybe you walk into a room of walkers hoping that you might slip up, that one of them might just get lucky and catch some of your flesh between its teeth. Then you would have an excuse to give up fighting and be allowed to die, to find peace like so many people had before you.

A low growl echoed around the empty building, you head snapped from the wall in front of you and your eyes scanned the warehouse around you. A walker came stumbling out of one of the doors to you left about twenty metres away, you stared at it as it stumbled forwards with what looked like a severely broken ankle. It was just a kid, plaid shirt and a blood stained superhero shirt. You stood up and faced the boy, a lump caught in your throat as you looked at him. His eyes were white with a yellow tinge like all the undead. He looked bad, worse than some adult walkers that you had seen. There were scratches all down one of his arms and his gut opened up with what's left of his insides dangling out of the cavity. It looked like he had just been snatched out of his parent's arms and devoured by the undead.

He was closer now just 5 metres but you didn't raise your knife, tears slowly fell down your cheeks cutting clean paths in your dirt and blood coated skin. You dropped your bloody knife to the floor as the boy grew closer and close the hunger in his eyes seeming to grow more and more intense with every wobbly step towards you.

"Just do it" you whispered as the boy was about arm's length away.

You closed your eyes and smiled as you sobbed thinking about your parents and waiting to be with them.

Suddenly a shot rang out making you jump as your eyes flew open to see the boy in front of you stop dead before slumping to the floor. Your eyes flew to the person who had fired the shot, he was a boy like the walker that he had just shot down, but he was alive. Instead of lifeless white eyes staring blankly at you his were a brilliant blue, alive. He lowered his gun and stepped forward his face crinkling into a caring expression before he stepped towards you and wrapped his arms around you.

You didn't care who he was he was alive, he was real. You cried into his shoulder and his arm wrapped around your waist the other one into your hair.

"Shah, its ok" he whispered as you cried.

A few minutes later, when you finally had no more tears to cry you pulled away from him and looked up at him.

"I'm sorry" you whispered taking a step back feeling embarrassed that you had just cried on a complete strangers shoulder.

"It's ok, I've been there before he" said with a small smile which made his eye sparkle.

"Yeah" you said wiping your face before picking up you knife and putting it in it holder.