Promise?

"Erin, I promise, it's gonna be okay! I'll be there, I'm gonna follow the ambulance, I'm gonna be right behind you." Jay yelled, standing behind the ambulance as they shut the doors. Jay ran to his car caught up to the ambulance.

7 hours earlier...

"I'm due in a week and a half, so basically that means I could pop any day now." Erin laughed.

"Yes, and that is why I told you I'd make breakfast, but here you are. Go, sit." Jay ordered.

"But, Jay. You can't cook that well." Erin teased.

"I can cook better than you." Jay countered.

"True... but what am I supposed to do while you go to work and I sit here doing nothing. At least I can do this and then have something occupy me for a bit, then I can do dishes or something. Now you're gonna do everything." Erin pouted.

"Fine, finish the breakfast. But that's it." Jay stated. 

After they finished eating, Jay cleaned the dishes and grabbed his jacket.

"I've gotta go to work now, I can't be late during my first week back, but I'll be back around 2 to make lunch for you... do not do it yourself, please." Jay begged.

"I won't. I'll wait for you." Erin smiled.

"Erin... I mean it, do not do it yourself."

"I won't, I promise." Erin sat down on the couch.

"I will see you later," he kissed her goodbye and headed out.

Erin sat there and looked at a blank television screen, staring at her faint reflection. She finally grabbed the remote and turned on some Grey's Anatomy. She looked at the clock, 7:10. That was the last thing she remembered before she dozed off.

The door rattling, woke her up, it was 12:30. It wasn't time for Jay's lunch yet, so she made her way to their safe to grab their spare gun. She walked back into the living room to find two men, both with ski-masks on, grabbing things.

"Get out! Get out, or I'll shoot you!" Erin shouted. She pointed the gun at one of them and put her finger on the trigger. 

She fired one bullet, not knowing the other guy had a gun, too. He pulled out his gun, shot Erin and ran out, his buddy limping from the bullet in his leg.

Erin fell to the ground, blood oozing out of the upper-right part of her chest. She stayed laying on the floor just looking at the ceiling, she couldn't move, she could hardly breathe, she was in shock. Finally, she reached for her phone. She dialed 529, which was Jay's speed dial, and he answered. She tried speaking, but nothing came out. 

Jay hung up, thinking it was just a butt dial.

Erin called again, Jay answered but Erin didn't say anything. 

"Erin? Babe? You okay?" Jay asked worriedly. He ran into Voight's office, Jay hung up. "Voight, I think something's happened to Erin."

"Why? What happened?" Voight asked.

"She's called me twice, but she's not saying anything, I'm worried." Jay stated.

"If she calls again..." But before Voight could finish his sentence, Jay's phone rang.

"I've gotta go," Jay stated. Grabbing his jacket as he ran out. He ran up the steps to his apartment to find a trail of blood and his door open. 

"Erin?" He called out, as he rounded the corner, he found her there, laying on the ground, blood pooling around her.