Forever Hold Your Peace

Four months later, (December of 2017):

Erin finally met a guy, just days after meeting Kate. His name was Mike. They'd been dating for almost four months. And in just a few days, they'd be attending Jay's wedding together. As a happy loving couple. With the kids, Kota, who was nearly 18 months and Lyn, nearly 6 months.

Mike and Erin sat on the couch, waiting for the silence to be broken by a cry or a whine, but nothing was happening. The kids were with Jay, their father. 

"It's nice. It's peaceful," Mike said.

"Enjoy it while it lasts, because pretty soon the demon children will return," Erin replied, tired.

"Erin?"

"Yeah, Mike?"

"I love you," He says before turning his body toward her. "I'm not asking you to marry me right now, but I can see my future with you. I can see myself standing right next to you through it all and that makes me happy. Thinking of you and me, and Kota and Lyn in the future, thinking of us all, that's what I want. I don't care if it's never peaceful ever again. I don't care if it's boisterous, I don't car if it's crazy, as long as it's crazy with you, I'm all in. I'm not asking you to marry me, but I'm telling you that I'm in this for life."

"For my crazy life?"

"All of it. I want the craziness, the noise, the love. But most of all, I want to do it all with you."

"You sure you're ready for all of this?" Erin asked, putting her hands up.

"As long as I have your hand, I'm ready," He interlocked his fingers with hers.

"I love you, too." Erin smiled, kissing him.

A few days later:

"Mike, are you ready? It's almost time to go!"

"I can't find my tie!" He shouted, frantically searching for it.

"You told me to hold it for you, it's out here."

"Oh, right," he laughed.

Erin put his tie on him and they headed out to go Jay's wedding.

They got a seat somewhat close to the front, but not too close. Erin sat down and felt weird. Not sad, not happy, just weird.

After what felt like an hour of waiting, Summer finally walked down the aisle and the priest started.

"If anyone has any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace." He said.

They sat in silence for a few seconds then the priest continued.

"Wait," Jay whispered. "Wait."

"What's wrong, Jay?" Summer asked.

Jay glanced at Erin and back at Summer.

"I can't marry you, Summer. I'm so sorry," Jay frowned.

Summer ran away bawling her eyes out.

"Erin, all of this, it made me realize, I need you.I love you. I don't know what I'm doing, I want to be with you. Let's do this!" Jay smiled.

Erin looked to Jay, then back at Mike. She didn't know what to do. She was just starting a happy relationship with Mike and knew that they'd work but she wasn't sure about Jay.

"Jay, I..."