The enemy

Never tell a soul what you saw that night. That was an order, an oath, the secret that forever changed his beliefs. But he became good with secrets, and things he knew forged him in one of the fiercest Christian priest warriors.

He had a new assignment now, he was lying surrounded with good Christian girls, gone bad, and how could he not, his appearance was truly a blessing, thinking about the new challenges, planning an attack, inpatient to spill some Heathens blood with his holly sword.

                                                                                             ***

Commander of the opposite forces, this time had his mind elsewhere, that was the first time for him to lose his focus, and it bothered him so much.

"Did you ask her?" Floki came and joined him at the table, taking a large piece of meat, devouring it with sharp teeth

"Ask her what. There is no point; you just think she will know how that ink finished on her skin. For Odin sake, Floki, she doesn't know a thing about her." He answered with a dose of sadness. "And I can't make larger confusion now, she is suffering enough!"

"My dear Ivar, did you maybe fell from your chariot and hit your head recently? Since when do you care about somebody's suffering, unless..." Large smile danced beneath black makeup. Eyes spread wide open. Ivar rolled his eyes and spit his drink.

"Come on, I gave my word that she is under my protection, that is all" He was trying to sound convincing but it was harder to convince himself that this is the only reason.

"When we get back, I'm sending her to Kattegat to visit the Seer."

Ubbe came on his horse, stained in blood, and clearly tired. Ivar changed the subject of his attention in a flash, glaring at his brother's angry expression.

"Saxons attacked us!"

"How big is their army?"

"Not so large in numbers, but they are damned Christian berserkers again!"

"What are we waiting than?" He said to Floki with evil grin, fire shining in his eyes. Floki jumped to his feet, also inpatient to fight the Saxons.

                                                                                          ***

She was observing the thoughts pass her by again, witnessing from the place that was not always possible to reach. Her breath was steady now, wind was touching her hair, sounds of birds, raindrops and people chatting were all around her. And deep down in her being she was herself again.

The intensity of the wind was increasing, voices were louder, and thunder followed the rain. Inner peace was holding her still regardless.

He was looking for her, he was so pissed that Ivar didn't let him come with them. When he saw her sitting with her legs crossed beneath the tall oak tree, soaked wet from the rain, totally numb for outer world, he ran to her, calling her back.

She reacted on his touch by opening her eyes wide, little dizzy and disoriented.

"What are you doing Aerlene? You will catch a cold!" He was clearly concerned, taking of his fur covering her gently hugging her, while she was standing up, accepting his hug, now aware that storm is coming their way.

"You are little crazy you know?" He teased her with one of his charming smiles. She smiled too, and followed him into the stable; witch was the closest hideout from the heavy raindrops.

"What was that about?" He asked her now, when they were safe inside dark animal house, sitting on the straw.

"It is the something I do, when the thoughts take the best of me, it helps me calm down, it changes my awareness and reminds me of the bigger picture"

"The bigger picture?"

"Our senses are not enough in order for us to experience reality as it is, our mind can fool us so often, and we don't even realize the traps we make for ourselves to fall in."

"That's why I don't think so much, I just follow my heart and I live as I like." He said and winked, careless as he was, it helped her to have someone like that around, and she also smiled.

"You should try it!" He stud up, and came closer to her taking her cold hand in his warm.

"I feel something..." He was inviting her to stand up, touching her face, in the next moment his lips were on hers. She was captured by the moment, kissed after years of solitude, maybe even the first time ever, and the feeling was warming her heart, although the thoughts of Ivar, stopped her soon after, to give herself in, completely.

"... and I act on it without holding back" he finished his sentence, letting her catch a breath again, watching her blush he accepted it as invitation, to kiss her again this time with more passion, and his hands around her waist pulling her closer.

She was trying to relax and enjoy, but when she would close her eyes, and Ivar was on her mind, only him and that was scaring her.

She never felt attraction so strong in her life and with our without memories, she just knew that even in her past life, something so strong didn't burned inside her.

Hvitserk felt her backing down, refusing to let in so he separated their lips. "But, I'm not the one you want?"

She was apologizing with her eyes.

"I know women... I saw how you look at him, when he is in the room; you become totally blind for the whole world. And I admire that, I really do. Just I must warn you, because I like you Aerlene, you are so innocent and kind. My brother is not capable for love."

She felt the heat taking over, fear of truthfulness in his words, serious and calm he continued. "He lacks humanity, and I hate to say that, but you can't be blind to the fact that he is a monster!"

That was enough for her ears, and the end of her calmness.

"A monster, ha? Then I ask you this kind of monster risk his life, just to save his wounded brother, give promises to the enemy and does his best to keep them. 

You were unconscious, careless, he was the one to find me, not Ubbe, he spent sleepless nights worrying will you recover. He loves you regardless your behavior to him. He loves all of you, and he is giving everything to protect you all. Your people are living like kings on the enemy territory only because of him. And he is the youngest of you all, but the most responsible one...

True he had sinned, but we all are!" She was so fierce so passionate, like never before, Hviserk was listening her, knowing deep down that she had right, but not ready enough to forgive the death of Sigurd.

"It is sad that we don't chose who we love. You will suffer, but that is your choice..." He said with little smirk, and he left, readier to face the storm than her ferocious defense of Ivar.

                                                                                             ***

Somebody was watching her, as she let the tears cover her face, knowing that this strong feeling won't go away. Great just great, another thing to be anxious about...