☆42☆

Nari sat in Minnie's office.  It was small and cozy, filled with little nick knacks from friends and loyal customers.  Souvenirs from other countries, signed photos of celebrities, the history of The Cup Holder was evident in the amount of things Minnie had put into this room.  Nari smiled at the tissue that was being held in front of her face.   She took it gratefully and wiped her tears away.  The silence was deafening and she knew Minnie was waiting for her to speak but she didn't know exactly how to start.

"Nari, sweetie, do you want to know why I called you in here?"

Nari looked at her boss and friend.  She nodded slightly and waited for the older woman to speak.

"I could tell your mind was a muddled mess.  Want to know how I knew?"

Nari weakly nodded again.  She hated to be reminded of her short-comings.

"I could hear it in your music.  Music is an expression of the heart.  When everything is as it should be, the music is beautiful and flowing.  It's happy.  Even sad music can sound happy when the heart is right.  It's just the opposite when the heart is out of sorts.  Your music told me something was amiss so I'm here to find out what that might be."  She smiled sweetly at the young lady in front of her. 

Nari wiped some more tears away and sighed.  "I don't know what to do," she whispered.  "There's someone that wants me to give them a chance and another that wants me to just be with them.  Both of them are my friends and I don't want to hurt either of them.  I turned one down this evening and in the process, I think I hurt them both."  She leaned her head back and stared at the ceiling, tears streaming towards her ears. 

Minnie sat back with a soft smile.  "You hurt them both because you haven't let your heart decide what it wants.  I think you're holding back, but for what reason?  Fear of the unknown?  Fear of being vulnerable to another human being?  An aversion to love?"

"One I know a little but I'm kind of interested in getting to know him better.  One I consider a good friend.  Neither of them are happy in the position they're in.  Both want more.   I don't know how to handle it.  What do I do?"  Her eyes pled with Minnie to give her an answer of any kind. 

"You decide what you really want and go for it without regrets or apologies.  One of them will inevitably be disappointed or even hurt.  But nothing is worse than stringing them both along and hurting both of them beyond repair.  However, if you aren't ready, then they need to understand that also and if they're worth their salt, they will."  Minnie smiled and handed Nari another tissue.  "And as far that big ape in the kitchen goes, he's not ready for someone yet, he just doesn't want to admit it."  She winked at Nari and sat back in her chair.

Nari looked down at her hands fidgeting with the thin white material.  She felt drained, emotionally and physically.  She hated disappointing people more than anything.  She wouldn't consider herself a people pleaser per say, but she definitely hated letting them down.  "Minnie, would it be okay if I go home early?"

Minnie nodded and encouraged her to go home, get something to eat, and then sleep.  She promised Nari she would have a clearer head about things tomorrow.  Nari nodded in agreement and expressed her thanks at being able to talk to someone. 

As she was gathering her things to leave, a tall take-out cup was thrust in front of her.  She looked up and saw a brooding Jun holding the cup out to her.  She slowly took it from his hands, her eyes questioning his actions.

"I figured you could use something to drink on your way home."  He gave her a small, half-hearted smile and walked back into the kitchen. 

Nari looked down at the plain cup and slowly left the cafe through the back door.   She stood outside in the clear night air, looking around her surroundings.  She didn't want to go home yet.  There was something she needed to do first.  As she walked between two buildings to the street, she pulled out her phone and quickly typed a message.  She walked a few blocks away from the shop before she sat down on a park bench and waited for a reply.