Five ♡

Please vote & comment!

I skipped the next two days of school. I was too embarrassed and self conscious over the fresh black eye that coated my pale skin, and the bruises all along my wrists and neck that seemed to take their time to fade away. Alex asked what had happened, but I simply said it was a fight with a guy on the streets.

"I'll call the cops!" She yelled.

"I already did." I lied. "I'll see you later."

I had hung up the phone then afterwards and proceeded to cry in my bed, rocking back and forth. Was it a dream? God, I wished. Even if it were, it would be a nightmare.

I never caught a name. I caught a faint stench of what seemed to be cigarettes and liquor. It wasn't Andrew— he had the scent of fresh pine with a stale cigarette lingering with it. And his voice wasn't as deep as Andrew's. Of course I knew crime existed and to always be careful, but what had happened was unreal.

Glowing red eyes? The man lifted me with ease, almost as if his strength was inhuman. He was quick, and played with my head. I couldn't quite comprehend what was happening, but everything was fuzzy to me now.

And why on earth did I protect him? Why didn't I tell them to find him in my math class or gym class, or give them his number? Why would I lie and protect him like that, and take the beating of a lifetime? All these thoughts had run through my head the night of the attack as I wrapped some gauze around the large slash that was etched into my skin. It was incredibly deep and very wide, as if it were an animal scratch. A very large animal scratch.

Nights passed and I finally managed to get myself out of bed and come into school. I paused at the door way, clutching my backpack that was hanging from my back. I took in a deep breath. Letting a few strands of my brown hair fail in front of my bad eye, I slowly walked inside. I kept my head down and headed to the back. Andrew was already in his seat for once, and I sat down without a word.

"Where were you?" He asked irritated.

I coughed. "I was sick."

"Bullshit." Andrew laughed.

I didn't say anything. I set my bag down on the ground and fumbled around inside of it. The sleeve of my sweater got caught on something inside, and tugged up just a bit. The bleeding stopped so I never put gauze on it this morning, and I quickly pulled it back down.

"Seriously, where were you?"

"None of your business." I snapped.

I looked up just enough to see him cock a brow, and he muttered a snotty remark. I rolled my eyes at him and cursed under my breath. He asked me again, and I snapped, "Did you hear me or are you fucking deaf?"

Well that wasn't my brightest idea. He grabbed me by my wrist and I held back a cry of pain as I felt it begin to burn. He heaved me up and grabbed my chin with his free hand, pulling my head up to look at him. "Don't ever fucking—"

Andrew paused, his eyes starting to go wide. His once hard features were now softening up, and his tone shifted. "What happened?"

I pulled away, rubbing my wrist. "Nothing."

"Snow, obviously something did." Snow. That was my name. He never had once uttered my name, except when he repeated it to me the first day and soon after joked about it. But for once, it sounded sincere as he said it. I shook my head and said the same thing.

"I got into a fight." I said gently.

"With who?"

I shrugged. "I dunno. It was dark."