Chapter 21: get away

POV Matthew

"Just because you don't want to sleep in the same room as me doesn't mean you are sleeping on the couch," I told Cinder as she made herself a place to sleep on the couch.

"No I'm sleeping here, Alpha," she teased me.

"Can you stop that already," I growled stepping forward.

"St-stop." Her eyes widened at my new posture.

"What?" I growled at her stepping forward. She went to take a step back from me but she fell over and stumbled to the floor but she kept crawling backwards.

I saw her breathing speed up and her face get more red. She was shaking and I saw tears form in her eyes. She started to whimper and cry. I was shocked and wasn't sure what to do so I stepped forward.  Wrong move.

She screamed and covered her head. She began to tug at her hair as well. She was pulling so hard I thought she would pull it right out of her head.

"Cinder what are you doing," I asked shocked. I began to panic and looked around frantically. "Cinder, Cinder. Can I get you anything?" I asked. "Oh please stop crying. I won't hurt you," I told her. She just kept whimpering.

Suddenly Kane started to cry and she screamed, scared by the noise.

I kneeled down and she looked up and it was like she couldn't even see me. She was looking around and cowering from nothing. She looked at the corner and screamed. I didn't understand what was happening but I had to help her.

"Hey let go of your hair," I said in a calm and quiet voice like I would use on Kane.

I reached out and she screamed ed slightly. I didn't stop though and touched her hands with mine and gently undid her fingers from her hair that was now messy there.

I placed them in her lap as she cried. I placed my hands on her waist and pulled her so that she was sitting in my lap.

She buried her face inside my knock and cried. She grabbed onto my shoulders and pulled herself closer to her. I wrapped my hands around her waist.

"Copy my breathing, ok," I told her. "In and out in and out," I repeated that till she stopped hyperventilating. "What happened?" I asked her pushing her back slightly to look into her eyes.

"Nothing don't worry about it." She pushed me back and stood up. She went over to the couch to continue making her bed.

"Ok just please stop," I said as calm as I could so we wouldn't repeat history.

She froze in her spot. She turned her head slightly and her hair was in her face. I could tell though that she had new tears in her eyes.

"Are you scared of me?" I asked her.

She froze in what she was doing and looked down. "It's not that," she mumbled trying her best to hide her face in her hair.

"Then what is it?" I asked her.

"I just don't know who to trust," she mumbled.

"Me," I offered.

"It's just that I spent my whole life in pain since my mom died especially not knowing who killed her and my fake dad knew this but he just let me suffer. My step mom let me suffer which doesn't surprise me and now my really dad is out there somewhere and I don't even know if he's dead or alive," she ranted looking up at me. "My whole life is a lie," she mumbled sitting on the couch looking at her hands.

I took the band aid from my pocket I grabbed for her and walked over to her placing it on her cut.

"There is some truth," I said kneeling in front of her.

"What?" she asked hope clear in her eyes.

"That we have a real family and that I love you and I always will even when we fight and that I'm sorry for getting upset with you," I told her taking her hands in mine and kissing them.

"I love you too," she told me. I smiled. She said she loved me.

I leaned in and kissed her lips softly.

During our talk we didn't hear anything other then each other so when we both pulled away the really world came back to us. It consisted of a crying Kane and Paris that was at the top of the stair looking tired and rubbing her eyes.

"Mommy, daddy," she said. "Kane's crying again," she mumbled. We both got up and I picked Paris up and placed her on my hip. She layer her head on my shoulder and sucked on her thump. I ran circles on her back trying to get her to go back to sleep.

Cinder walked over to Kane's room and saw him throwing his feet and arms around while crying. His face was all scrunched up.

"Hey there my handsome baby boy." Cinder picked him up and held him to her chest and stepped back and forth in a calming motion. She patted him on the back and he finally stopped crying. "That's a good boy." She layer him back down and placed a stuffed animal in his hands. He snuggled with it and slept.

"Now let's get you to bed young lady," Cinder said to Paris as she turned around.

"Yes mommy," she nodded.

"Lets go." I walked with her in my arms and Cinder walking next to her.

"Why did you wake up?" Cinder asked her as we laid her in her bed.

"I had a nightmare," she mumbled. That was strange. She hadn't had one in about a month. When she first got here she'd wake up in the middle of the night crying.

"Oh come here baby." Cinder pulled her into a tight hug. "What happened?" she asked.

"The mean people tried hurting me again," she said a tear falling from her cheek. I felt my heart squeeze at her pain and I sat down and hugged her to.

"Baby the mean people wont hurt you," Cinder told her.

"I know it's just scary mommy," she sniffled.

"How about you can sleep with mommy and daddy tonight?" I asked her.

She nodded. "Will you keep the bad dreams away?" she asked us both.

"Of course," I said picking her up. I picked up her favorite stuffed animal as well. It was a stuffed bunny.

"Why did you have a bad dream?" I asked her.

"I don't know they just came," she said. "They said they were mad and it was my fault." I saw her whimper and cover her ears. "They yell a lot," she sniffled.

I looked at Cinder with regretful eyes. "Is it because mommy and daddy were yelling?" I asked her.

"Yes." She whimpered again. "Are you going to hit me?" she asked as she shivered at the idea. A 6 year old girl should not know what any of this is.

"Of course not we love you and will never hit you," I told her.

"Are you sure," she asked. 

"Of course." Cinder walked up to us and kissed her cheek. "We are sorry for scaring you baby girl." Paris nodded.

"Ok." We walked into our room and I laid Paris down in the middle and I got on one side of her while Cinder got on the other.

I pulled both of them over to me and cuddled them both to me.

"I love you both," she mumbled and closed her eyes.