XXIV

ACT V | SCENE XXIV

MATCHING NECKLACES

JANGMI HANDED THE last guest her goody bag as rosalie waved the girl goodbye next to her. sighing, she straightened, looking at hoseok who was approaching her with a big grin on his face.

"we are not doing this again next year." she announced as rosalie left to go ask brigitte for more cake. she was glad the party was over. she'd been on her feet for a good part of the event, mentally thanking god the entire time for her wardrobe choice of a long but simple grecian gown and sandals.

"why not? she's going to be five!" he held up a hand. "yeah, and we can go to a petting zoo or something." she replied with a shrug. "actually, that's not a bad idea for a theme. i'm going to run it by bora." he nodded and was off in the woman's direction, muttering possible costs and plans as the event planner in him went to work.

"it's like talking to a brick wall." jangmi muttered with a shake of her head. her gaze drifted toward the table where jimin sat with his parents and his controversial girlfriend. sighing again, she made her way to brigitte who was finally not stuck to namjoon's side as he was now with taehyung.

"hey," brigitte smiled as she dropped into the chair next to her. "hey," she answered. "you and namjoon seem to have hit it off." she remarked, a playful smile pulling up her lips. "mhm, i don't see what you meant when you said you two couldn't find anything to talk about."

"of course you don't." jangmi popped, mirth dancing in the golden brown of her eyes. "that the girlfriend?" brigitte asked, eyes following movements behind jangmi. she nodded without looking back. "yeah. well, according to him, they're not dating and it's his mother's doing which i don't completely disbelieve anyway. the woman's a black snake in vibrant green grass." she suspired, leaning her head against the back of her chair.

"she didn't even say hello to rosalie, much less a happy birthday." brigitte's nose crinkled in disapproval. "yeah, well, i never expected her to. she acts like i have some contagious, deadly disease and that rosalie's caught it from me by the mere fact that i birthed her." jangmi opened one shut eye to look at her friend. the expression had not left her face as her eyes continued to stray in the direction of jimin and his family.

"look, i don't want to think of the woman. i already have a bad enough headache. i don't need it escalating to a migraine. i'm just glad rosalie's day went without any hiccups." her gaze shifted to the different coloured wrapped presents on the table behind her friend. "when we get home, she's going to make us open all of them." she groaned, shutting both eyes again.

brigitte laughed. "she's even had lots of sugar today so i can just imagine all the energy she'll still have in storage." she fluffed her bouncy red hair. "jesus, don't remind me. putting her to sleep's going to be such a big hassle tonight." jangmi groaned again, massaging her temples with both hands.

someone tapped her shoulder gently, causing her eyes to snap open and her head to lift up from the chair. bora smiled down at her. "hey. my parents are leaving and my dad wanted to say goodbye." she said, voice soft and kind as it always was to her. "oh, sure." jangmi got on her feet and followed her.

she dipped her head in a bow. "thank you for making time for rosalie." she smiled earnestly at myungsoo. "you've worked hard today." he replied, patting her shoulder. "you too, bora." he did the same to his daughter.

"well, we'll be leaving now." he added before looking at jimin. "see you at home, son. we have business to discuss." he said. the pattering of tiny feet pulled everyone's attention to see rosalie leaving hoseok and running in their direction. jangmi wanted to tell her to slow down but she was already barrelling towards them.

"grandpa!" she wrapped tiny arms around the older man's legs. chuckling, he lifted her up and into his arms. "are you going?" she whispered. "yes, honey. grandpa has work to do." he beamed brightly at her. "okay," she answered, lips jutting out in an adorable pout.

jimin took her out of his father's hands and bowed. "see you at home, father." he dandled the girl who instantly began to play with his silver necklace as soon as she caught sight of it. "yes. bye." myungsoo nodded slightly before making his way out with hyunjoo who refused to say a word.

"bye, nari." jimin looked at the woman who was subtly staring at the girl so at home in his arms. "bye." she replied before following his parents out. "well, i have to talk to hoseok so we can start packing up." bora stated and made her way towards him, leaving jimin and jangmi by themselves.

jangmi's gaze shot from jimin to the girl he held warmly. her lips pulled up in a smile at the happy child. "we've got to be getting home." she stated. "i need to get those into the car." she muttered to herself, staring at the presents and what was left of the cake.

"you can ask taehyung and namjoon to help." jimin offered. she nodded, leaving him with rosalie to go do just that. "hey, guys." she beamed when she stopped in front of them. their eyes lifted to look at her. "hey," they chorused. "could you guys do me a huge favour and help me move rosalie's presents into the car?" she asked, keeping the smile on her face. "of course." namjoon pushed his glasses up higher on his face with his index finger.

"thanks a lot." she clapped her hands together. the two got on their feet and went with her to the table. the two men stacked boxes in their arms and started their first trip to the car with her. on their way back, jangmi paused to watch jimin with rosalie.

he was on one knee in front of her, pulling a small velvet box out of his pocket. "is he going to propose to her?" a smile playing on her lips, she moved closer quietly. even before he opened the box, the small girl was already excited at the sight of something red and when he did, her small hands muted the squeal that left her lips as she began to hop in place.

jimin laughed, pulling out the silver necklace that lay in the box. a small ring that would probably fit rosalie's fingers hung from it. "i promised to get you one just like mine." he told her softly as he unclasped the necklace and put it around her neck.

a huge smile found its way to his face as he watched her run her fingers over the white gold and then the tiny ruby encrusted in it. "just like papa's. see?" he pulled his necklace from underneath his black patterned shirt. his daughter giggled, touching her own ring to his.

"happy birthday, princess." he whispered, glancing at their matching necklaces and then at her. the girl leaped into him, wrapping her small arms around his neck. "thank you, papa." she said into the crook of his neck where her head was buried. he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her further into his warm embrace, a chuckle leaving his upturned mouth.

jangmi cooed lightly, placing her clasped hands on her chest over her heart. she found the scene before her sweet. "so cute." taehyung sighed next her. she glanced at him and smiled. "right?" she let out.

"makes him seem less annoying." she mused, dropping her hands back to her side. he laughed lightly. "let's let them have their moment." she stated. with one last glance, the two walked away, leaving the father and daughter in their happy embrace.

☀☀☀

something sweet and a bit spicy because it's worldwide handsome's day.