XCIV

ACT XIX | SCENE XCIV

VOTE

THE CONFERENCE ROOM didn't seem so cold to jimin this time. he ran a hand through his hair, silver earrings glinting in the lighting of the room. he noticed choi gijoon's eyes on them, and he certainly wasn't the only one who couldn't seem to stop staring at the jewellery. jimin's smile was small, smug.

his eyes bounced around the room, sensing the tension he oddly wasn't feeling. his smile only grew bigger even as he could feel several pairs of eyes of the men in the room. nothing and no one at this meeting could make him feel uncomfortable. it wasn't that he was unaware of the gravity of the product of this meeting. he had simply made up his mind to accept the outcome, no matter what it was.

myungsoo cleared his throat, running his fingers through his hair. "as everyone is present, i will now call this board meeting to order." he announced, tone serious. unlike his son who couldn't seem to keep a smile off his face, myungsoo's expression was almost grim.

"as you all very well know, today, i will be retiring as the ceo of dk group. which, of course, only means one thing; a new ceo will have to be appointed." he began promptly, lacing his fingers through one another. his gaze moved across the room, over each board member sat at the table.

"i hereby nominate park jimin to take over from me." his eyes landed on his son who seemed the most comfortable he'd ever been. "upon the board's approval, he shall be appointed as the new ceo of dk group." he tapped his fingers against each other. "before each of you are ballot papers on which you shall either vote for or against the motion for director park as my replacement."

he unlaced his fingers to point over at the extreme end of the conference room. all eyes followed his finger. "the ballot box shall be passed down the table to take everyone's votes which shall then be computed. the outcome of this voting shall determine how this meeting will end." the way the corners of myungsoo's lips lifted was almost sinister. he clasped his hands once more. "you may now begin voting."

hands reached out to pick pens and cast votes. it was silent, save for the sound of pens brushing against paper. jimin picked up his pen slowly, ticking a box and flipping the paper around. leaning back in his chair, he shut his eyes in waiting, feeling absolutely no pressure whatsoever.

it was strange really, not to feel even the least bit tensed up at this decisive moment in his life. but he was more than grateful to be able to feel at peace. perhaps, because he now had all he's ever really wanted in life. this suddenly didn't matter as much to him as it should have.

the ballot box was passed around, each board member slipping their ballot paper into the slot provided. he watched it move down the table silently. when it got to the end, his attention moved from it to his ringed fingers. he absentmindedly toyed with the jewellery, this time out of boredom rather than nervousness.

"the votes will now be counted." myungsoo announced. the room was as silent as ever. no one said a word as votes were being counted, every person seemingly focused on whatever thought they had running through their minds.

after what seemed like hours but was really no more than minutes, the results were announced. "it's a tie." for the first time since the meeting began, murmurs broke out in the room. every person was well aware of the implication of such a result.

"as you all know, in the event of a tie, as chairman of this meeting, i hold the casting vote." myungsoo announced, staring straight ahead. he paused dramatically, allowing the tension to soak up the room like a wet sponge. all eyes were on him. he was acutely aware but maintained his stoic countenance.

"and i cast my vote in favour of director park as the new ceo of dk group."

it was dead silent. myungsoo's words floating in the air, not quite settling in the minds of the persons present. jimin stared at his father for a long moment. he blinked once, twice, allowing the full weight of his father's words to sink in.

"with that, i believe we have a new ceo upon, of course, ratification by the general meeting. director park- pardon me, ceo park, congratulations on your new appointment." myungsoo held a hand out.

jumping on his feet, jimin took his outstretched hand, bowing respectfully. there was a slow round of applause and jimin smiled slow. he gave another bow. "thank you, i'll do my very best to run this company effectively."

he straightened, hands clasped in front of him, expression serious. he meant what he said.

☀️☀️☀️

not the drama you were expecting, was it? jimin now runs the company woo