LXV

ACT XIII | SCENE LXV

FREEDOM

BLANCHE RUBBING AT jangmi's feet was super distracting and the last thing she needed under these circumstances. quickly composing herself, she dipped her head in a bow. "good morning." she was surprised to find her voice was steady. the man sent her a small smile in reply. "what brings you here so early?"

"i wanted to speak to you about something important." myungsoo fixed his son with a pointed look, making it known that whatever he was here to speak about was between him and jangmi. jimin pressed his lips together, not feeling very enthusiastic about leaving the two alone together especially after the whole fiasco at the board meeting. he still didn't know what his father thought of his actions. the man hadn't breathed a word about it since the incident occurred, and jimin would be lying if he said he didn't feel slightly awkward around his father since that day.

taking a deep breath, he dipped his head in a bow and turned around, making his way back to the bedroom where their daughter was still fast asleep. jangmi watched him go, noticing his discomfort with the current situation. when she turned back to myungsoo, he gestured for her to sit down and she obliged, trying to be as comfortable as possible with a silk night robe wrapped around her shirt and shorts clad body.

even in her own home, myungsoo seemed to command an impressive level of authority, and jangmi couldn't help but be somewhat awed by it. he smiled softly and the gesture reminded her of jimin, making her relax a little. "you have a lovely home." he began. "thank you." she replied with a small smile. "i wanted to talk to you about your relationship with my son. but before i start, i want you to know, i'm not here to play the underhanded father who smiles at you while sending you a threat and a cheque."

jangmi found herself grinning at his words as he stared at her with smiling eyes. "my father might have planned my entire life out before i was born – study business administration, take over the family business – but the one thing he left up to me was who i married. he married my mother before he built his empire and she was with him through it all, so he believed that if he had the freedom to marry the woman he loved, then so should his son. and i share the same opinion."

she offered no reply, trying to figure out where he was going with his words. her hands clasped together on her knees, paying full attention. myungsoo cleared his throat before continuing, eyes trained on her, observing her body language. "after what jimin said at the board meeting, i realised how determined and serious he is about keeping the both of you in his life." her brows furrowed at that. "board meeting?" she unwittingly interrupted him. a knowing look passed over the man's face. "of course he didn't tell you about it."

"tell me about what?" she questioned quietly. "you should ask him about that." he immediately replied. she pressed her lips and sighed, having expected such a reply. "the two of you, whatever you have, it's quite admirable. he must see something in you the way i saw something in hyunjoo. believe it or not, she wasn't always this way, her friends have poisoned her mind." he adjusted in his seat. "chairman park, what jimin and i have is nothing more than friendship and understanding." jangmi smiled awkwardly.

"is it?" the questioning look he gave her made her pause. "is that really all there is to it? friendship?" the way he asked the question had her pondering, eyes blinking in confusion. "i'm sorry i don't understand. sir, if this is about me marrying jimin for—"

"you're saying you do not have any feelings for my son beyond friendship?" he cut her short. her eyes widened in surprise, cheeks lightly tinged pink. "you want to know if i'm falling for jimin again." the shock stopped her voice from rising high enough at the end for the sentence to be considered a question. "are you?" his gaze pierced through her like he was reading her mind. normally, she would have answered in the negative without batting an eyelid but her mouth opened and shut without a single word coming out. for the first time, she didn't know. something about the way myungsoo asked had her questioning herself.

she pressed her lips together. sure, they were certain times – like yesterday – she had surges of feelings akin to those she'd felt for him in the past but she just assumed they were residual feelings, nothing but short bouts of nostalgia. and now, jimin's father was here making her wonder if they really were just that. "i—" she took in a deep breath. "i'm not." she shook her head.

the man smiled like he knew something she didn't. "well, if it turns out that you are, i want you know that you have my support and blessing." he chimed, his ambiance, good-natured. she gawked at him. this was supposedly a man who cared first for his business. right now, he reminded jangmi of her own father, the same way hoseok's father always did. "but—"

"grandpa's here?!" rosalie singsong voice cut her off. "shh, mummy and grandpa are having an important talk." jimin's muffled voice could be heard. "but i want to see grandpa. i've not seed him since my birthday." the girl whined and jangmi knew she must have been pouting, arms folded over her chest. myungsoo grinned in his place. "rosalie?"

the pitter patter of feet could immediately be heard as soon as myungsoo called her name. "slow down, don't hurt yourself!" jimin called after her, tone worried. she certainly had strong legs. "grandpa!" she jumped into her grandfather's arms as her father reappeared in the room with a sigh. he plopped down next to jangmi on the couch. "how does she move so fast? my heart was in my mouth." he murmured, making her chuckle. he smiled, glad that she still had her good mood, which meant whatever they had discussed wasn't all bad.

"did you miss grandpa?" myungsoo asked, eyes turning to crescents and creasing at the sides – the way jimin's did when he smiled – as he grinned at the child seated on his lap. rosalie had ultimately gotten her eye smile from him. the girl bobbed her head enthusiastically. "this much?" the man held his arms open slightly. "mm-mm," she shook her head and held her arms wider.

"this much?" he mimicked her. "mhm," she hummed, nodding her head in approval. "big enough for a hug." the old man smiled, referring to their held out arms. rosalie's big eyes sparkled with realisation just as he wrapped his arms around her in a hug. she let out a fit of giggles, hugging him back. "grandpa will try to see you more, okay?" he promised and she nodded.

"but grandpa has to go now, hm?" myungsoo watched the smile on the girl's face morph into a pout. her brows knit together, brown eyes sad as her lips puckered. "i'll be back soon, don't worry." he kissed the top of her head as he lifted her into his arms whilst getting on his feet.

"it was a nice talk, jangmi. i hope you think about what i told you." he said as the woman got on her feet with his son, dipping her head in a respectful bow. she pressed her lips together, looking up at him and giving no answers as she took rosalie out of his arms. "i'll walk you out, father." jimin followed the man, opening the front door as they stepped out.

"may i know what you talked about?" jimin asked once the door was shut behind them. myungsoo only smiled as he answered evasively, "i only did what you couldn't do yourself." jimin's brows moved higher on his face, confusion written all over his countenance. myungsoo's smile grew wider as he patted his son on the shoulder before turning around towards the cars.

jimin stared after the man, hand scratching the back of his hair, wondering what his old man possibly meant.

☀️☀️☀️

bet y'all thought that would go differently, didn't you? you really didn't think he'd threaten jangmi when all he's done since he found out about rosalie is ask jimin to marry her.
and yes, that hug scene with myungsoo and rosalie was totally inspired by this iconic too-cute hug between michelle and uncle jesse in full house.

they both always made me so soft and their relationship was the cutest and is kinda what i want hoseok and rosalie's relationship to be like yannoanywho thanks for reading! ily

anywho thanks for reading! ily