XXXVI

ACT VIII | SCENE XXXVI

SANDCASTLES

ROSALIE WAVED AT her mother as she built sandcastles with a red plastic pail and spade in the sandpit with im heejun, sora's three-year-old son. jangmi smiled wide, waving back at her from her place at bench.

"your daughter is really adorable." sora remarked, watching their children laugh and play. "as is your son." jangmi smiled. "he looks a lot like his father, you know. acts like him too. even though he's only three years old, he's always saying he'll protect his mummy."

"aww, that is so cute. he's going to be a good man." jangmi cooed. sora took a sip of her mocha with a smile. they watched as rosalie helped heejun to pat down on the top of his sandcastle properly. his initial pout transformed to a bright smile directed at the girl.

"rosalie must get her caring nature from you." sora remarked, looking at the way she taught her son to turn the pail the right way so the sandcastles didn't topple over. jangmi let out a breathy chuckle. "i don't think i'm that caring though. i think she learnt her sweet nature more from my best friend than me."

"don't sell yourself short." sora replied with a glance at the woman sitting next to her. somehow, jangmi got a sense she was hinting at the incident with jimin's mother at the school almost a month ago. "that was only self-control. it had nothing to do with having a sweet nature, i assure you." she stated.

"still, i admired your composure. even though i couldn't hear everything, it was so cool how you kept your head." sora said honestly. jangmi let out a heavy breath, holding her chai latte in both hands. "i was losing it in my head, to be honest. it took everything in me to hold it back. after that, i was sure everyone at work would look at me negatively."

"i don't." sora gazed off at their kids again. "why? i know having a child out of wedlock is not exactly big here." jangmi looked at her curiously. "i had a shotgun wedding. so if i judged you, that would make me a hypocrite, wouldn't it?" she grinned. jangmi's eyes widened slightly in surprise.

"sejun says he was already planning to ask me before we found out i was two months in but that doesn't change the fact that we had to speed everything up before i started to show." she chuckled lightly. jangmi did the same, leaning back. "i'm glad it worked out for you two."

giggles erupted from the sandpit, pulling the women's attention back to their children in time to see heejun falling next to rosalie while trying to hold the older girl up. they landed bum first on the castles they had built, crushing them underneath their weights. they kept on laughing, still holding hands.

their mothers smiled with amusement. "they are so cute." sora remarked. jangmi nodded her agreement. "we should schedule more play dates." she rested her chin on the open palm of her left hand.

sora bobbed her head, a gust of wind blowing her shoulder length caramel hair into her face. "it'll be good for heejun. he finds it hard to make friends because he's really quiet and shy." she sighed out softly. "rosalie will loosen him right up." jangmi chimed, eyes on the little girl helping the boy get sand out of his hair.

"you and rosalie's father...things are good between you two, right?" sora asked softly. "yeah, we decided to be friends." jangmi took a slow sip of her latte. she thought of jimin and the ghost of a smile played on her lips. he seemed to actually be trying to make their friendship work.

it was kind of nice. not having to argue or shoot death glares every five minutes. it certainly reduced her stress levels considerably. it almost felt like old times when they'd first met.

"that's nice." sora answered, head slightly tilting to one side. jangmi took another sip of coffee. "yeah, it is."

☀☀☀

we built sandcastles that washed away. lmao why am i like this? what do you guys think of sora so far?
HAPPY NEW YEAR BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE, I HOPE IT'S A YEAR FULL OF JOY AND LAUGHTER FOR YOU ❤❤