LXXIX

ACT XVI | SCENE LXXIX

OPPA

HOSEOK CLICKED DIAL and waited as the video call connected. he heard footsteps behind him making him glance back to see amalia slowly approaching him. "hi," he smiled at her. "hey, what are you doing?" the portuguese rolled off her tongue smoothly as she took a seat next to him. "calling my little sister." he moved his eyes from her face back to the laptop screen.

"the one you always talk to?" she asked, lacing her fingers through each other. "yes, the o—" he stopped talking when he noticed a too close face on the screen. "uncle hobi!" rosalie squealed, a bright grin on her face. "rolly polly!" he yelled with matching excitement. "baby girl, take a step back so uncle hobi can see all your gorgeous face." he said sweetly. "okay," the four-year-old scooted back, allowing him a better view.

"where's your mummy?" he beamed at the little girl who couldn't seem to sit still. "she's getting pizza at the door." rosalie replied. "so you answered the call all by yourself?" he gasped. "mhm," she bobbed her head. "papa teached me how. but shh, don't tell mummy." she pressed her index finger to her lips. hoseok mimicked her actions.

amalia chuckled next to him, pulling the child's attention to her. "who's she?" rosalie looked at him expectantly, eyes blinking repeatedly. "she is my new friend. her name is amalia." he answered, watching how the girl regarded the woman. "you're pretty." she commented with an approving smile. "thank you, rosalie. you're pretty too." amalia beamed, waving at the girl. "i like her. and i like her dress." rosalie tried to whisper which amused hoseok to no end. "of course you do." he glanced at the burgundy dress that complimented amalia's tan skin.

"rosie, who are you talking to?" he heard jangmi's voice in the background. "uncle hobi." the girl looked away from the screen in the direction where hoseok assumed her mother stood. "how did you know how to answer it?" her footsteps could be heard. the girl simply shrugged, not offering an answer. "he has a pretty friend with him." she whispered too loud. "he does?!" he could hear jangmi practically run towards her daughter. he cringed, slightly mortified.

"hobi wan kenobi!" she cheered, plopping down next to rosalie. "ugh, that freaking nickname." he groaned, eyes shutting as his head dropped in embarrassment. "i think it's cute." amalia remarked next to him. "you must be amalia." jangmi grinned, taking in the woman's looks. "and you must be hoseok's baby sister. it's nice to meet you." amalia smiled graciously. both of jangmi's brows went up as she turned her gaze on hoseok at amalia's choice of words. "yes, i'm his baby sister." she replied, eyes still on him, voice holding a note of amusement.

"my korean's pretty good, you don't have to speak english." amalia informed. "ooh, a language expert just like our hobi." jangmi remarked, impressed. amalia's cheeks flushed. "i try. he's way more amazing." she replied graciously. "i know right. it's ridiculous." jangmi's voice was playful and friendly. "when we were kids, no one would ever have believed that he could practically be a genius." she leaned forward, pulling rosalie closer to her. "really?" amalia gasped. "yes. he was a bit slow back then." jangmi nodded, lowering her voice. "i did not call so you could take jabs at me." hoseok deadpanned, expression straight.

"oh yeah. i forgot you were there." jangmi grinned cheekily. hoseok simply rolled his eyes in reply. "your flight is tomorrow, right?" she asked. "yeah, i'll be back tomorrow." he nodded. there was a loud gasp next to jangmi. "really?!" rosalie squealed, already bouncing in excitement. the three adults laughed at her reaction. "yes, angel. i will." hoseok affirmed with a loving smile. "i'm jealous. she hasn't been this excited since... i don't even know." jangmi pouted. "well, i'm way more fun than you are." hoseok stuck his tongue out cutely. "rolly polly, we'll have so much fun when i get back, i promise!"

jangmi crinkled her nose at him the same time rosalie let out a cheer. "wait till you get back. you'll remember why you used to call me monkey when we were little." jangmi mumbled in faux annoyance. hoseok cringed at the thought. "please no climbing or attacking." he pleaded. "what'd you say?" jangmi cupped her ear, turning it towards the screen. "rosie, d'you hear what your uncle said? because i didn't." she turned to her daughter who only giggled in reply. amalia was doing the same next to him.

hoseok groaned. "mimi!" he let out. "yes, hoseok!" she widened her eyes innocently, highlighting the resemblance between her and her daughter. he sighed and shook his head and she laughed loud. "um?" amalia interjected. all three turned to look at her. "just curious." she began and the two other adults nodded for her to go on. "how come you don't refer to hoseok as oppa? it's just i thought that was the norm."

the way jangmi snorted out a laugh amused her daughter who couldn't help but giggle at how much her mother was cackling. when she finally calmed down, she noticed the dry look hoseok was shooting her through the screen. "you done?" he asked. "yes," she chuckled. "let's just say it's part of our dynamic." she returned her attention back to amalia.

"actually, why did it become that again?" hoseok's brows drew together in thought. a mischievous look came over jangmi's face at that. "oppa!" she popped out. hoseok made a face of clear disgust, features crinkling at the sound. "oh, yeah, that's why." he muttered in irritation. "he hates the way i say it." jangmi supplied. "ah," amalia smiled in understanding.

"what about jimin?" hoseok swiftly changed the subject. "papa isn't back yet." rosalie answered. "he's working late again. something about an important deal." jangmi added. "papa buyed the pizza for us to say sorry." rosalie whispered, leaning against her mother. "so we're having apology pizza for dinner." jangmi chirped, pulling the girl onto her lap. rosalie nodded her agreement.

"well then. while you have your sorry pizza, we'll go have breakfast." hoseok chimed. he caught the glint in jangmi's eyes at his choice of words. even as she said nothing, he could tell what she was thinking. "good for you. have fun you two." she beamed. "it was nice to meet you, jangmi. you too, rosalie." amalia waved.

mother and daughter waved back, similar smiles on their faces. "it was really nice meeting you too." jangmi replied. "bye bye, lia!" rosalie piped cutely. "bye bye, uncle hobi!"

"have a goodnight, angel! i love you!" hoseok blew her a kiss. "i love you too!" she mimicked his actions just before the screen went black. jangmi smiled, turning all her attention on her child. "ready for pizza, teddy bear?" she questioned. rosalie bobbed her head in response. "hm!" she hummed out. "great, let's go eat." jangmi lifted the girl into her arms as she got on her feet, heading towards the dining room where a box of hot pizza awaited.

☀️☀️☀️

well well well, what do we have here? two updates in three days wow. again, it's kind of a filler but you can't have drama in every chapter right? they deserve a bit of peace after everything. also, some shameless promo coming your way in 5 4 3 2 1! i just published a bts applyfic so i'd love it if you checked it out. maybe you'll like it enough to want to apply?? oof
aannddd if you guys know any underrated stories you think i should read, don't hesitate to leave an inline comment here with the title and the name of the author. i'm trying to find some hidden gems :)
oh and you can check out stories by MONBLUES ! i promise you won't be disappointed!