XXXI

ACT VII | SCENE XXXI

BEAR HUGS

THE SOUND OF the doorbell being rung jolted jangmi out of her reverie. she could detect the sheer desperation as the bell was rung repeatedly. abandoning her untouched food, she ran to the door quickly, hoping that the sound wouldn't wake rosalie up.

she yanked open the door only to slam it back shut when she saw who stood behind it. he knocked on the door. "go away!" she yelled, starting her walk back to her small dining area. he was pressing the doorbell again and it somehow seemed louder.

groaning, she bolted back, pulling the door open even more aggressively this time. "i swear to god, if you wake my daughter up with your shit, i will kill you. so just leave." she threatened and tried to shut the door again. his foot came between the door and the jamb just like the first time he had waltzed in unwelcome.

she stared at it and then at him. "move your foot, jimin." she said, voice cold. "let me in, jangmi." he countered adamantly. "look, i am too tired for this. just go away." she sighed, obviously not in the mood to argue with him. "i'm not—" he froze as his eyes caught the dark bruise on her face. "what...?" he stared at it and realised it was a handprint. his eyes widened in shock. he had not been informed of that bit. "did she slap you?!" he yelled in a whisper.

"jimin, please." she tried to hide her face behind the door. "i am definitely not leaving now so you might as well just let me in because i'm not moving my foot." he replied, voice stubborn. sighing, she gave in and swung the door open wider, allowing him passage into her home.

when she spun around after shutting the door, she found him staring at her. he reached for her without a thought, pulling her closer so he could see the mark his mother had left on her face. "i can't believe she hit you." his fingers ghosted over her cheek, following the movement of his eyes.

she stepped back and around him, moving back to the dining area. "how did you find out?" she asked, feeling him right behind her. "why didn't you tell me?" he redirected. "and say what? that your mother slapped me and all but flat out call me a whore in public?" she whirled around to face him.

"she called you a whore?" his jaw dropped. somehow this piece of information had been skipped over. "she certainly implied it." she answered, eyeing his form. he looked disheveled from his mussed up hair to his crudely rolled up sleeves right down to his half tucked rumpled shirt.

"jimin, why do you look like this?" she queried, eyes raking over his body again. he glanced down at himself. "i kind of got insanely pissed when i heard what happened." he mumbled out. "but that's not important." he added quickly. "actually, it is. i know how irrational you get when you're angry. jimin, what did you do?"

"i just told my mother off for harassing you. look, that doesn't matter right now. she hurt you, for christ's sake, look at your face!" he gestured, still unable to believe his own mother had done that. "i'll live." she chuckled drily.

his eyes strayed to the food on the table that had clearly been pushed around. he looked back at her. "are you okay, jangmi?" his voice was soft. she started to nod but thought better of it, shaking her head. in a few strides, jimin covered the space between them, snaking his arms around her.

it was quiet but he heard the tiny sobs that escaped her lips. she fisted the sides of his shirt tightly as her head laid on his chest. he rubbed small circles on her back to soothe her, feeling her tears seep into the front of his shirt but he didn't mind. her arms snuck around his back so that she was now flush against him.

a thought occurred to him then. "jangmi?" he called softly. "did rosalie see?" he asked, referring to the obvious bruise on her face. "i told her i slipped and fell on my hand." she chuckled mirthlessly. he breathe out a small laugh at the girl's innocence.

"they all heard. god, it was so embarrassing. and now everyone at the school probably thinks i'm some whoring gold digger." she moaned into his shirt. jimin's hold on her tightened, one hand running over her hair soothingly. "i'm sorry." he muttered, resting his chin on the top of her head.

it had been so long since he last held her like this. warm and tight. like if he let go, she might disappear. it used to be a source of comfort being in his arms like this. and if she was being honest, right now it was. he hummed a soft tune, continuing to run his hand through her hair, making her smile a bit. he used to do that.

jangmi kind of missed them. jimin's bear hugs.

☀☀☀

it's 12am 251217 here so merry christmas beautiful people! christmas special will be out in a couple of hours! ❤