CHAPTER TWO

Ragnar smiled when he saw the familiar woman before him

Ragnar smiled when he saw the familiar woman before him. It was almost as if he didn't recognize her. She had grown in a woman, her features had always been prominent but now they seemed even more striking. Her long light hair were about the same length, reaching her behind and braided yet slightly messy. Her pink plump lips seemed bigger yet it was her other tones features in her face that gave that impression. Her waist seemed smaller underneath the new leather jacket under the cloak and her thighs looked muscular yet slim. He could see ink covering her neck and some of her right temple.

"Vál." Ragnar said before slowly walking towards her. "I never thought I would see you again." He continued as she stood there speechless. She cleared her throat and blinked quickly before looking him in the eyes.

"I could say the same to you." She said and he smiled. "What are you doing up here? Shouldn't you run your Kingdom?" She continued and he shook his head.

"I need to be alone. I've been gone for a long time." Ragnar explained and she only nodded. Ragnar motioned for her to take a seat on one of the chairs outside the cabin after taking a seat on the other.

"I just need to tie my horse." She said and he nodded. She walked over to Thyr, took a grip of the bridle and guided him to the front of the cabin where Ragnar was seated to find something to tie onto. Ragnar nodded towards the tree not to far away. She could feel his eyes roam over her body as she tied Thyr to the tree. She walked over to him and sat down on the empty chair. Silence engulfed them as they looked at the unlit fireplace. It was an oddly calm tension between them which both of them appreciated.

"Are you enjoying your life up here?" Ragnar asked after a while and she barely didn't hear him, lost in her own thoughts as she stared at the lake.

"I do." She answered and he nodded slowly. "Are you?" She asked and he smiled.

"It's simple." He answered and she smiled.

"Have you lived in this cabin for long?" She asked and he shook his head.

"A few days now." He said and looked at her. "Are you living close by? I mean since you're here." He asked and she shook her head.

"Further up, where the snow is thicker." She began and looked at him. "You should move further down, I can ride there with you." She continued and he raised his brow.

"Too close to the past?" He asked rhetorically and she shook her head.

"Too vulnerable for the exiles, you don't stand a chance against them." She began. "They don't care who you are or what will happen, they've already lost everything. Your head would end on a spike. That's why I was sent down here, to protect you." She added and looked him in the eyes.

"Then let them come." Ragnar said and she raised her brow. "I got my own bodyguard here now." He added and she chuckled. Vál bit her lip, asking herself if she should ask him the questions that her mind was screaming at her. She wondered if she wanted to know, if she was ready to hear the answers.