CHAPTER SIX

Vál stared at Björn and Björn stared at Vál

Vál stared at Björn and Björn stared at Vál. Both their eyes were electric and Váls breath was rugged. The men held her arms in a firm grip even if her arms was still tied with the rough rope around her wrists. Björn almost didn't recognize her. She had grown a lot, her facial features were even more prominent than before, her eyes even colder, lips seemingly plumper as her body looked more muscular under the cloak. The leather jacket she wore was form fitting. Yet what stood out was the amount of black ink that covered her neck and temple. Even if it had been such a long time he saw new scars staining her pale skin.

"Hello bear slayer." Vál said and her nickname for him sent a wave of pain through his chest. He clenched his jaw as he stared at her. Björn nodded for the men to let her go but the rope around her wrists was still hugging them together tightly. "I was hoping we would've reunited under different circumstances." She continued.

"Cut the crap Vál. Why are you here?" Björn said and she raised her brow, feeling herself getting rather defensive.

"As you're men here just said. I'm stealing one of the horses." She said and Björn swallowed harshly. "Except the little detail it's my horse. I'm taking it back." She continued.

"What are you doing here?!" Björn yelled, he couldn't control himself. The woman in front of him he had learnt to hate. "You have no business down here!" He continued and she only looked at him with an apathetic look. The younger sons of Ragnar shifted in their seats. Vál remained quiet since she couldn't answer the question. She had been so intrigued by seeing the sons and meeting Ragnar before she left she hadn't understood why she was down here. She wanted to see the sons again that was obvious but she hadn't thought what her reason for being in Kattegat again after all those years. She knew she wouldn't be welcomed, she had prepared for that, she knew Björn would be angry with her yet the look in his eyes stung her heart. To say she was there for him would almost sound morbid. Thorulfs words echoed in her head; come and go as she pleases.

"I had." She said truthfully. "I was esco—"

"Maybe this discussion should be exchanged in private." Aslaug spoke up form behind Björn. The Queen's angry eyes met hers and Björn shook his head at her words. Vál frowned and their eyes met again. She couldn't get through to him, his eyes blocking her out, giving her nothing but a solid wall of pure hate and disgust.

"I order the arrest of Vál Thyrsdottír for stealing, treason and conspiracy of killing the sons of Ragnar." Björn said, his voice filled with determination and hatred. Váls eyes widen and she tried to fight back as the same men gripped her arms to pull her out from the great hall. Ubbe frowned and looked at his brothers who all seem to be reacting the same way.

"Björn! Let me go! I said let me go!" Vál yelled as she struggled to get of from their grip. However she succeeded and ran back inside after kicking one man between the legs and the other she knocked down with her head. However other men quickly interfered and carried her outside. Vál didn't stop fighting all the way to the middle of the market she was chained to a pole, two heavy metallic cuffs around her wrists and one around her neck. One man spat at her before walking away, leaving her there alone under the sky.